+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much is too much for Calcium Hardness

Skillset Guest

Default How much is too much for Calcium Hardness

I have a Fiberglass pool. I know I don't need to Calcium for it. But, before I found this site I bought a bunch of cal-hypo from Leslies. I don't shock the pool very often (maybe once every 6-8 weeks). But, from what I read here on the forum, too much Calcium can lead to cloudy water. So, how much is too much? I just ordered the Taylor Test reagents to do the test. I'd like to use of the cal-hypo, but don't want to reach a high numbers. What's a safe range before my water clarity is affected?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: How much is too much for Calcium Hardness

Quote Originally Posted by Skillset View Post
    I have a Fiberglass pool. I know I don't need to Calcium for it. But, before I found this site I bought a bunch of cal-hypo from Leslies. I don't shock the pool very often (maybe once every 6-8 weeks). But, from what I read here on the forum, too much Calcium can lead to cloudy water. So, how much is too much? I just ordered the Taylor Test reagents to do the test. I'd like to use of the cal-hypo, but don't want to reach a high numbers. What's a safe range before my water clarity is affected?
    That kind of depends on the pool and the other numbers. Just for a ballpark, I would say that calcium over 400 or so is asking for cloudy water. High TA and pH will affect that, though...you may be able to maintain clear water at 400 with low TA and pH, but with the same 400 and high pH and TA, it will cloud. Some people have gone up to 500 with no problems, and I have a friend who has horrible problems at 320. So.....to be on the safe side, if you can keep it below 300 I definitely would, and under 200 is even better.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread