+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help - Dolphin From Costco Works For 10min And Then Stops !

Question Help - Dolphin From Costco Works For 10min And Then Stops !

Bought my Dolphin Dynamic from Costco last summer and worked great (once pool temp increased). Dropped it in last week after pool opening and proceeds to work for 10 min. or so and then just stops !! I tried numerous times to clean filter bag, etc. and restart and same problem. Do not think it has anything to do with amount of dirt in the pool, because bag was not that full and last summer it kept on chugging along with much more dirt in the bag. Also, have checked treads and impeller and nothing seems to be clogged or stuck. It seems a number of people on this forum have returned their Dolphin to Costco - - but from what I gather, the reason for the most part seemed to be that it wasnt climbing. I would be very interested in knowing if anybody has experienced similar problems and/or any advice on the cause. I havent yet tried customer service.

Looks like I may buy a poolbuster whilst I consider replacement options... Thanks.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Help - Dolphin From Costco Works For 10min And Then Stops !

Isn't it under warranty?

Try turning off your filter and running it without the bag and see if it works. It's possible the bag is clogged.

Also, contact Dolphin. They have a US rep who I think isn't very good, but the people in Israel can and will help you if the rep won't fix it.
    Carl

Thanks CARLD. I dont think its clogged, but I will try that troubleshoot. Warranty is not an issue, without question COSTCO will take it back, but I will then need to replace it with something and may not want to go with this Dolphin again.

RavenNS is offline Established User Weir Watcher RavenNS Not to be trusted

hey Carl
    didn't you find that if the chemistry was off and the water temperature was very low, the dolphin pretty much didn't work?

Just return it to Costco, I did that with mine, and replace it with a Blue Pearl.

Cleancloths - why do you return yours to Costco ?

because it just started to walk a 10' path back and forth in the deep end. If I turned it off and then back on it would work for a while then go back to the deep end and just do the same thing.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by RavenNS View Post
    hey Carl
    didn't you find that if the chemistry was off and the water temperature was very low, the dolphin pretty much didn't work?
    No, I found they gave me that as a line why it wouldn't work. They gave me a bunch of bizarro numbers that they "required" for it to work, like super-low pH. In fact, according to the US rep's nonsense, my Dolphin should NEVER have worked. It was all BS (Barnyard Slush). Something went south.

The manuf rep in Israel didn't give me that at all. He was very cooperative.

They actually sent me a complete new (not overhauled) unit and that works. But I, in the interim, bought a Blue Diamond, and that works very well, with a few caveats:
    1) I have to pull my ladder out because it gets stuck under it. It only takes 30 seconds but it shouldn't happen.
    2) You cannot program it to always climb walls. You need to start it, let it run and start to move, then hit the change-direction key on the remote and it will then climb the walls every 3 or 7th time (I forgot which). It's a minor pain.
    3) They rather deceptively advertise that you can use it on any shape if you have the remote. What they don't tell you is you must guide it complete for odd shapes. It only is set-and-forget for a rectangular pool, which luckily I have.
    4) You have to let it sit in the water until the foam rollers soften, and leave it 20 minutes after it completes to cool.
    5) Compared to the Dolphin the programming is stone-age.

OTOH,
    1) the bag works just as well as the Dolphin's but is 10x easier to clean because it's a thin, single layer.
    2) it cleans the pool in 1/4 to 1/3 the time.
    3) it weighs far, far less
    4) it always works....that's the bottom line.

BTW, you should know that all of the robotics were originally one company and the others are all split-offs, and all the units are supposedly made in Israel, or were. So they all bear a definite family resemblence.
    Last edited by CarlD; 05-30-2007 at 03:58 PM.
    Carl

Thanks everybody. I am going to try their customer support today and will let you know what they say. If they can not trouble shoot it, I will return it to COSTCO, but I would like to buy a replacement from COSTCO due to their generous return policy. They are currently selling the Dolphin Dynamic and the Aquabot C and the Aquabot Turbo C. Its been some time since I scoured these forums for reviews of the Aquabot products. SO I ask - what is everyones opinion of these Aquabots ? Neither seem to be remote controlled. So bottom line-- if I want to stick with COSTCO, I either give a replacement Dolphin a try or switch to the Aquabot. Thanks.

Well - it looks like I wont be speaking to customer service today. I called at 4:50pm EST and received a message that I had called after business hours of 9-5pm EST. Never mind that my manual states that customer service hours are 8:30am-5:30pm EST !!

+ Reply to Thread