+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Liquid shock, bleach, liquid chlorine?

Default Liquid shock, bleach, liquid chlorine?

What is the difference in the above? When ever I think I have it right I read something here that contradicts my understanding. Same thing with FC, TC, and CC. I use a Taylor kit and the chlorine reading is dark red for the FC and TC which leaves a 0 for CC, (FC-TC=CC) correct?

Thanx

Default Re: Liquid shock, bleach, liquid chlorine?

Quote Originally Posted by rollinrock View Post
    What is the difference in the above? When ever I think I have it right I read something here that contradicts my understanding.
    Concentration. Bleach is usually 5.25% or 6% sodium hypochlorite. Shock is usually 10% or 12-12.5%.

Quote Originally Posted by rollinrock View Post
    Same thing with FC, TC, and CC. I use a Taylor kit and the chlorine reading is dark red for the FC and TC which leaves a 0 for CC, (FC-TC=CC) correct?

Thanx
    FC+CC=TC

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

They are all sodium hypochlorite solution, all the same thing.

Grocery stores sell 5.25% and 6%, discount houses sell 3% and pool stores sell 6%, 10% and 12.5% but call it liquid chlorine or liquid shock.

1 gal of any concentration will add exactly that same number to 10,000 gallons of water. 1 gal of 6% adds 6ppm, 1 gal of 12.5% adds 12.5ppm.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    They are all sodium hypochlorite solution, all the same thing.
    ...And the pool store employees will INSIST that bleach will ruin your liner...

Dave

jnorris is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jnorris 0

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD View Post

Dave
    That's what my pool builder said...he told me that there was lye in bleach, and not in pool chlorine.

Of course, he also told me that the trichlor tabs would each add the right amount of CYA for that amount of Chlorine, and I would have to keep using them to keep my CYA in the correct range.

He also told me to call him in the summer when I get the mustard algae like everyone else he knows gets, and he would put some copper stuff in my pool that would take care of it.

I got a little mustard last year, and knocked it out with the laundry bleach that will eventually ruin my liner
    Judy

Designated "pool girl" for 16 x 40 IG vinyl pool (installed in 2006) in S.C.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD View Post

Dave
    Never! They tell you that it will raise your total dissolved solids to unacceptable levels!
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by jnorris View Post
    That's what my pool builder said...he told me that there was lye in bleach, and not in pool chlorine.

Of course, he also told me that the trichlor tabs would each add the right amount of CYA for that amount of Chlorine, and I would have to keep using them to keep my CYA in the correct range.

He also told me to call him in the summer when I get the mustard algae like everyone else he knows gets, and he would put some copper stuff in my pool that would take care of it.

I got a little mustard last year, and knocked it out with the laundry bleach that will eventually ruin my liner
    I hope you figured out that your PB should never again be allowed to do any maintenance on your pool.

Follow our suggested rules for maintenance and you should NEVER see mustard algae at all.

If you need copper to kill algae you've waited too long anyway--IMHO.
    Carl

Talking Re: Liquid shock, bleach, liquid chlorine?

Actually Namco carries a revolutionary new product called "Econo-shock"... guess what it is?

I've been calling around trying to find "car boys" of chlorine here in the Denver area and someone finally told me it's against the law to sell them here. That would explain why I can't find it. I have a connection with a chemical supplier for 10% in a drum, but he says I need this fancy 4-pronged wrench to open it and it would cost as much as the bleach for the entire year. Guess I'm stuck going to WM and lugging for another summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyAnn View Post
    I've been calling around trying to find "car boys" of chlorine here in the Denver area and someone finally told me it's against the law to sell them here. That would explain why I can't find it. I have a connection with a chemical supplier for 10% in a drum, but he says I need this fancy 4-pronged wrench to open it and it would cost as much as the bleach for the entire year. Guess I'm stuck going to WM and lugging for another summer.
    You mean like this one for $8.49?

You can get them many places for less than $10.

+ Reply to Thread