+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing AG pool depth from 52"-54" to 46"-48" for kids (shallow end tricks)

zephans is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst zephans 0

Default Changing AG pool depth from 52"-54" to 46"-48" for kids (shallow end tricks)

Hello Pool Forum experts. I am buying a 12'x24'x54" BF oval AG pool really soon (today or tomorrow if all goes well). I want 54" depth for my tall 9 year old and grown-ups. But I'm a bit concerned about my 6 year old son.

My family:
    6yr old: 48" (43" to mouth, 47" tippy toes to mouth)
    9yr old: 58" (53" to mouth)
    Wife: 63" (57" to mouth, 62" tippy toes to mouth)

QUESTION:
    1. How do I make at least part of the pool shallow enough to be safe for my 6 year old.

2. Should I just buy a shallower pool instead?

MY INITIAL THOUGHTS:
    HIGH BOTTOM UNDER LINER: One idea I had was leveling out with extra sand in bottom before setting the liner. I was thinking it might be safe to do this for 2" making pool a 52" pool.

SKIMMER DOWN: I don't want to move the skimmer down as this is a one-way step... unless there are skimmers that work over 4"-6" range (54" down to 48").

SHALLOW END!?: Constructing shallow end with sand/rock/whatever before setting liner sounds like a recipe for disaster. Unbalanced force on "deep" end of pool would likely cave wall in. Pool liner won't stretch well to irregular bottom either unless it is an expandable liner (designed for deep end AG pools).

PLATFORM IN POOL: Constructing platform that I can insert or remove from pool sounds like a safe option. However automatic cleaners will probably have fits or can't clean platform area. Also I'd need to figure out right materials and construction techniques that won't rust, float to top, or most importantly run any risk of having a kid get caught/trapped underwater.

CAKE STEPS: Good solution, but only allows access to very small part of the pool. Kids like to jump around the entire pool and play. Also harder to clean around.

The more I think about this problem the more I'm thinking I need to either buy a shallower pool OR build up the sand to make pool 48" deep before setting the liner... which defeats the purpose of getting a deeper pool unless we redesign it several years from now.

OK Experts and experienced pool parents, your turn to chime in!
    Thanks! -ZephanS
    AG BF 13.5'x23.5'x54" (wups) Diamond Star (Wil-bar) purchased 5/30/2007 from sunenterprises.com. 2hp pump + 150lb sand filter (both WaterWay combo) using 75lbs zeobrite + SWG.
    Dug and built ourselves in ~30hrs by ~7/4 thanks to PF (esp. hrdennis,nwmnmom,matt4x4,Waste,CarlD, &others). ~$5,500 total cost.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Changing AG pool depth from 52"-54" to 46"-48" for kids (shallow end tricks)

How about a flat liner until your kid is older, then replace it with a stretchable liner that allows you a deep end?
    Carl

pool newby is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst pool newby 0

Default Re: Changing AG pool depth from 52"-54" to 46"-48" for kids (shallow end tricks)

I had the same dilemna when my buying my pool as my little boy was five then, and couldn't near touch the bottom on a 52'' pool. For adults, and preteen daughter, we wanted as deep as we could go. We ended letting my little boy use a lifejacket last year, that would allow him to float around, jump, whatever, and this year, he can touch bottom with no problem and get around just fine. They do grow up fast ! I think I would just go with the regular install, and not worry about it.

Hey!

I have the 33' round Ultima.
    I have 8 kids.
    They are 11, 9, 8, 6, 5, 3, 1, & 0.
    Everyone gets in the pool except the newborn.
    All of them wear life jacket zip up style swim suits. You can get them at Toys are Us. Look at the floation levels on them and get the one that has
    PREMIUM for Buoyancy
    Here is a pic of something similiar. This picture only goes up to Deluxe.
    You want the one that is better than this:

Make sure you get the right size. They seem to run big.
    There are many different styles, some with hoods, sleeves, no sleeves, ect ect.
    Walmart also has some but get the best you can. And remember these are not life savers but swimming aids.
    I don't like the boating kind ( found in sporting goods) they are very uncomfortable and hard to swim in & tend to push the kid's head under water if they are not perfectly fit.
    Just make sure you are there and watching him at all times and never let him out of the house w/o the floation suit on.
    Only 2 of my kids can touch the bottom.
    The kids are starting swim lessons soon. And it is the kind of swim lessons where they just learn to SWIM and none of the other stuff.
    I put my kids in the swim lessons at the public pool in the past- they had private lessons and they still could not really really SWIM.

~Hoffmans

Talking Re: Changing AG pool depth from 52"-54" to 46"-48" for kids (shallow end tricks)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    How about a flat liner until your kid is older, then replace it with a stretchable liner that allows you a deep end?
    Carl, this will be a buttress-free oval I'm shooting for. The statement above implies I can add extra sand to bring part of the pool bottom up from 54" to perhaps 48" (6" extra sand on one side of the pool bottom)?

Honestly I don't know if it is safe to add extra sand to raise up one side or entire pool bottom. I'm not locked into anything yet, but I will soon buy the Diamond Star (unless I find similar good quality BF 12'x24' pool that fits the bill better).

Thanks for the posts so far. I hadn't considered the floatation solution. Both our kids love swimming and have been attending YMCA classes for about a year. My 6 year old can do basic swimming and probably get most the way across 24' without assistance. (Of course we will be very careful as always - as we have with our 12' doughnut and splash pool before that.)
    Thanks! -ZephanS
    AG BF 13.5'x23.5'x54" (wups) Diamond Star (Wil-bar) purchased 5/30/2007 from sunenterprises.com. 2hp pump + 150lb sand filter (both WaterWay combo) using 75lbs zeobrite + SWG.
    Dug and built ourselves in ~30hrs by ~7/4 thanks to PF (esp. hrdennis,nwmnmom,matt4x4,Waste,CarlD, &others). ~$5,500 total cost.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

In answer to the question regarding changing a 54 inch pool to a 48 inch or lower pool, I've seen pools with floating skimmers, meaning it does not matter where your water level sits, it will always skim - as for your return - as long as it's still emptying into the pool it should be fine...
    http://www.nextag.com/Vogue-FLOATING...31/prices-html
    http://usaink.com/dragonfly/

Hoffmans and Pool newby, excellent advice. I have four daughters that were raised in above ground pools. We never went the floatation things, not sure they were around back then. The babies would spend a little time in tube of some sort but most of the time the kids were in my arms until they could swim away on there own. They all took after me, born half fish. Water depth has never been an issue. With a couple of air mattresses in the pool as rest stations you would be amazed at how much fun kids can have even if they can’t stand up to breath. And yes, they grow so fast.

If depth is still a concern I would go with Matt’s suggestion. At one time over the wall skimmers went into most of the pools we built. I know, this was back before floatation devices, but they are still a very viable option. You can run your skimmer and return lines over the wall if you want to. Some flat sheet metal taped over the skimmer and return openings, from the inside, will take care of the openings until you are ready for them in a few years.

For many, many years Doughboy pools came with these plates included in every wall in a matching color. Just tape them into place and use an over the wall skimmer. All the rest of the brands had skimmer and return openings that were like half punched and if you wanted to use them it was hammer and chisel time to get them out. If you did not wish to use them you simply taped over them.

As for the high sand inside the pool, you would not be happy with the results. Remmember also that you will loose about 5-6 inches in depth from the sand at the bottom and the simmer level on the top. A 54" wall does not mean 54" of water.

Now that I have aged myself back to the stone age, get the taller pool and enjoy.

Dennis
    Last edited by hrsdennis; 05-29-2007 at 08:25 PM.
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

I agree. Our boys have always been in the regular depth with the adults since they were little babies. Baby floats and life jackets were our answer then, I think those floatie costumes are wonderful alternatives that look "cooler" for kids that care about that sort of thing, for those that don't floatation devices and good supervision (that always anyways)
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Talking Re: Changing AG pool depth from 52"-54" to 46"-48" for kids (shallow end tricks)

Thanks for all the advice. This is awesome!

Plan A: Go for it! I didn't know pool height didn't include loss from skimmer and sand bottom. Also pool toys will provide excellent rest stations... they will totally love it. My 6 year old does fine with breaks and place to shoot for nearby (under supervision of course).

Plan B is floatation wear.

Plan C is lower water and get a floating skimmer.

Lots of options. I'm ready to order tomorrow! I just hope the sale is still on and I get someone knowledgeable to talk with on the phone before I spend ~$2,500+.
    Last edited by zephans; 05-30-2007 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to add "and get a floating skimmer" for plan C.
    Thanks! -ZephanS

UPDATE: I purchased the 12'x24'x54" Diamond Start pool (made by Wil-Bar) from www.sunenterprises.com. I'm confident full depth won't be a problem, but if I encounter any issues I'll update this thread. Thanks again.
    Thanks! -ZephanS

+ Reply to Thread