+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mars HP Freshly installed - First Impressions/Questions

Default Mars HP Freshly installed - First Impressions/Questions

My Mars HP was installed Friday....Other then a small leak at the booster pump which they will have to come fix there is no major problems to speak of. I have it running on a separate timer for 3 hours at present.

It does really like my deep end though. Does not really do to much of the shallow end at present. It cruises around the edges but really does not go into the middle of the shallow end at all. I am going to run it for the week and let the hoses stretch out since I am noticing it is coiling up on the water surface a bit. Then, check all the hose lengths and float positions since the pool builder installed it. Also, depending on where it comes out of the deep end from it sometimes gets stuck at the steps in a head on type collision. Once the backup valve switches on it sorts itself out. The pool does look a hell of a lot cleaner though. It seems to be picking up a lot of stuff.

I know Waterbear and JonnyG have one, if you guys or any other owners could let me know if you use the hose that whips around behind or not. I ran it with it on yesterday, and took it off in the evening. Going to run it today without it. That hose occassionally sprays water out of the pool.

For the RPM's, am I better off running closer to 40 or closer 48? Also, the pressure adjustment valve that connects at the wall, should the blue adjustment handle be facing to the bottom of the pool or up to the sky? I have tried it both ways, the book really doesn't say one way or the other.

Will post more observations as I use it a little more...
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    1HP Super Pump
    Clearwater LM2-24S SWG
    250K NG Heater
    Mars HP Pool Sweep

Default Re: Mars HP Freshly installed - First Impressions/Questions

I would leave the tail on. The pad on the tails helps with the cleaning by stirring up the fine dirt for your filter to catch.

As for the handle's position, up is a quiet operation and down gives my the babbling brook affect! No difference in function.

You may want to lay the cleaner, with the hose straight, in the sun to help take the coils out of your hose. This may help in the shallow end. But it does miss our shallow end sometimes.

If it is climbing the walls, then I would say your rpms and floats are correct.

Joe

It does not climb the 90 degree walls, just my slopes in the deep end hopper. Even then it only goes about a foot or so up them. It does go up the ramp part to the shallow end then veers off to the side and pretty much runs the shallow end edge around again and back to the deep section.
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    1HP Super Pump
    Clearwater LM2-24S SWG
    250K NG Heater
    Mars HP Pool Sweep

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I would leave the tail on. I have found that if the tail is slightly to one side intead of directly underneath the unit will climb my stairs better but it tends to make it go into a circular path a bit. Hose length and float position are important for proper climbing and good coverage. Leaving the hose straight in the sun for a few hours will take care of the coiling. It will clean better then. If the backup valve is pulling it out of the ladder then it's working properly! Mine is running at about 43-44 rpm. That's the highest it will go on my system. Mine climbs the walls pretty well and gets maybe a foot below the suface of the water sometimes. Usually it will go up a bit more than halfway in the deep end. The cleaner does spend more time in the deep end than the shallow end but my returns are in the shallow end and that might have something to do with it.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thanks for the tips guys. It is appreciated. I have put the tail back on, and today it seems to be cleaning better then yesterday. I am going to let it clean the pool 3 hrs a day for the week then let the hoses straighten out in the sun if I am still noticing the coiling. Will re-measure after that as well.

One more question though, can I run it under my pool solar cover or is it not a good idea?

Thanks.
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    1HP Super Pump
    Clearwater LM2-24S SWG
    250K NG Heater
    Mars HP Pool Sweep

I run mine under the solar cover. You may have your hose tangle until the residual coils are gone. Remember to lay your new hose out in the sun to help remove the coils.

Joe

Thanks Joenj, wasn't sure if I needed to worry about the cover.

The cleaner is definately improving in its climbing ability. I did angle the jet wand things that hangs off the back to the side a little from straight down. It now comes about a foot from the water line in the deep end. Still need to sort out the shallow end problems. I will play some more over the weekend after I check the float positions and let the hose straighten out on the deck for 4 hours in the sun.

It does do a good job though on the areas it hits. I have been brushing the areas it does not really go over towards the deep end. Pool looks really clean when its finished its 3 hour tour.

Once again thanks to you Waterbear for the assistance as well.
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    1HP Super Pump
    Clearwater LM2-24S SWG
    250K NG Heater
    Mars HP Pool Sweep

+ Reply to Thread