+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacement pump

Default Replacement pump

My old Hayward SP-1607 1hp pump may be failing. It seems to be running hot these days and even shuts off due to heat.

Given that I have a 16x32 inground pool (~20,000 gallons) with a Hayward EC65 DE filter, what would be a good replacement that would be cheaper to run? Would a dual speed get the job done for less? According to Hayward the design flow rate for the filter is 54 gpm.

The pool is plumbed with 1 1/2" lines. 2 skimmers and a bottom drain with 2 returns.

It looks like a max-flow pump, but obviously the design has changed since it was installed in 1990.
    Last edited by anotherpyr; 05-26-2007 at 10:27 PM.

Default Re: Replacement pump

So I take it that my flow is limited to 42-50 gpm due to the 1.5" piping. Rate seems to vary depending upon source.

Looking at the flow rates for the 1hp Hayward Maxflow and Superpump pumps, it looks like I could replace it with a 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar and get the same flow rate (seems to fall off at a slower rate too).

Is that right?

Or am I just getting excited by dreaming of going from .75 kw to .37 kw.

Seems like it would be worth the $100 difference in price.
    Last edited by anotherpyr; 05-26-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Generally motors fail either mechanically, as in failing bearings where they give you an early warning in the form of noise, or shorted windings and/or starter circuit problems. The latter being catastrophic in that it won't start or will smoke. Sounds like ventilation is a problem since it takes time for the high temp switch to open. Another possibility that would be obvious is overloading which would show up as high filter pressure. Depending on the environment it is possible critters could have built a home in the wrong place and blocked air flow or dirt just accumulated in the air passages and blocked air flow. I'd open it up and inspect. If you have access to a high pressure air source, blow the thing clean. Not sure but I think most motors suck air from the pump end and blow out the other. Should be a pretty good blast of air either way. Have not looked at the specs on pumps so I can't help you there.
    Al

I was trying to figure out how it cooled the motor this morning and it would appear to have vents on the underside next to the pump.

I'm getting 2 sets of data for the Northstar from the Hayward site. One is the tech specs
    http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/p...?ProductID=110
    which would seem to imply that 3/4 is the smallest they make.
    The other source is the owner's manual which seems to show the Northstar pumps available in a 1/2 hp version.
    http://www.haywardnet.com/products/m...s/Manual95.pdf
    For comparison. It took me a minute, but the Northstar starts its ratings at 40ft instead
    of 20ft of total head.
    1 hp Max-flow
    http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/p...m?ProductID=12
    or 1 hp Super Pump
    http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/p...m?ProductID=10

At this point all I have is a pump and a DE filter, no heater or other load. But I would like to add
    a solar heater and Polaris 360.
    Last edited by anotherpyr; 05-27-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Well that helped some, it isn't shutting off or running as hot. But now it sounds like it has to spin up before it starts pumping.

I went ahead an ordered a 2 speed 1 hp Hayward Super Pump to replace it. If it turns out to be something that can be fixed, I'll have upgraded to a 2 speed and hopefully lowered my electric bill. And if it is dying then hopefully it'll hold up until the replacement arrives. Hopefully the $399 price I got is as a good deal as it sounded considering the next price I found was $459 for the same pump.

2 speed is a good idea, as long as you have the correct electrical (I believe all of the Hayward 2 speeds use 220V only).

I have the .5 HP Northstar (yes it does exist.....single speed.....it replaced a 1HP SuperPump) and I love it. Quiet, WAAAAAY powerful (the .5HP is "full rated" whereas the .75 HP is "max rated".....basically the .5HP full rated performs on par or even better than the .75HP while using a little less electricity). My liner installer actually thought the Northstar may have been overpowered for my S244T sand filter. I told him they dont make one with a smaller motor

The only thing I regret is that I didnt have 220V so I could get a 2 speed Northstar. Im in the process of fixing that and need to investigate if I can just swap the motors and not need to replace the whole pump.

-Chris
    Last edited by chrisexv6; 05-29-2007 at 08:48 AM.

I don't doubt that the 1/2 hp Northstar exists, but it would appear to be discontinued. I'm glad you replied though as I was nervous that the 1/2 hp Northstar might be too much. ;-) If the 2 speed Super Pump doesn't work out I'll look for the 1/2 hp Northstar some more, but I haven't been able to find anything less than 3/4 hp.

Its on a two pole breaker so I am assuming its 220V.

Poolplaza has the 1/2 HP Northstar on the web site, just FYI. (I keep mentioning their site in my pump post replies, I'm really not shilling for them!!! They just seem to have more info than any other site I've been too).

Well sure enough. Hidden between the 3/4 and 1 hp Northstar models poolplaza lists a 1/2 hp fullrated one for $414.07. They also list an up rated 1hp dual speed Super Pump for a whopping $529.65.

Any reason to go with the 2 speed 1 hp Super Pump over a 1/2 hp Northstar? Seems like the Northstar would have the same current draw as the 1 hp on low speed, yet put out the flow of the 1hp on high speed.

You should be able to do better on that Northstar price Search around.

As for SP vs Northstar, I couldnt find any electrical specs on the SuperPump. The Northstar uses .37 Kw. I dont know how much the SP uses on low, but on high speed it most likely more than .37 Kw.

BTW: you can resend your PM to me, I cleaned out my PM box.

-Chris
    Last edited by chrisexv6; 05-31-2007 at 09:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread