+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Auto cleaners..I just don't get it...

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

Default Re: Auto cleaners..I just don't get it...

I guess we are lucky in that there are few leaves (we live in s. Arizona desert), and our pool is not large. Saturday vacuumimg is usually all I have to do, unless we get a serious dust devil that sweeps thru the yard.

I am sure auto-cleaners are great. But since I don't want to spend the money, I vacuum, generally every time I swim. Since I vacuum often there isn't usually much debris to pick up (but I like it as clean as possible before I jump in), and it is about a 10 minute job. I consider this kind of maintanence fun, although maybe that will fade since we have had our pool for less than a year. And I certainly don't consider it hard work, but if I should happen to break a sweat then the first dive in becomes all the more refreshing.

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

it's kind of like kids and chores.."neato" to do the first few times..then it becomes another damn chore on the list i thought it was fun and cool the first couple of seasons..by startup of season 3 and having to empty my basket from the winter crap about 25 times while vacuuming..fun was not the word on my mind. now, i've got a leaf net and can say that the amount of setup has reduced considerably..but i'm still not having fun..ok, maybe it was fun for 5 minutes..maybe i'm a good candidate for an auto vac

If your pool is already set up with a pressure port, it doesn't have to cost a lot to install a cleaner:

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLARIS-VAC-SWEE...QQcmdZViewItem

I have ours set to run a couple of hours each evening and it keeps the bottom clean of debris. I wouldn't ever want to go manual.
    Tom Wood
    15K IG Plaster, Sand Filter, Polaris 180

nater is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher nater 0

Benefits for me:
    1). Time saver/multitasker. I can mow, sleep, work, cook, drink, etc while the robot cleans the pool.
    2). Super clean water. If I throw the robot into my pool when its "clean", the filter bag will still make a cloudy mess of the 5 gallon rinse bucket at the end of the cycle.
    3). Completeness of job. I get tired, bored, rushed, etc and miss spots with the vacuum. The robot doesn't. He lives to clean the pool

Are you missing out on any great zen experience by not having one? No. Are you saving some money by not having one? Yes.
    Would I buy another one? Absolutely!
    Nater
    16x32 Vinyl IG, 20,000 gal, Autopilot DIG-220 w/60 series cell, Dolphin Diagnostic Pool Boy

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

I do not want my pool to become a chore and there IS a difference between maintanance and a chore. We also live in the woods, and even with the cover on we still have debri that needs to be cleaned up. I have too much to do and so little time, plain and simple, it saves me time that I can be doing something else.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

It's sorta like a cell phone. You don't think you need one until you have one and then you can't live without one.

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the appeal of auto-cleaners. I spend about 30 minutes each Saturday with a good 'ol vacuum head and pole. No Kreepy-Krauly hanging out of the pool, getting caught on stuff, missing areas...etc. Then there is the initial expense/repair parts.

I don't get it? Do these devices really save you any time/effort?
    I agree. It's like indoor plumbing. Was boiling a few pots of water for your Saturday bath really that much work? Likewise, saving a few precious steps to the outhouse; especially when you consider the thousand of dollars it costs to plumb the average house.

How 'bout 'lectricity? Isn't that just a tad bit overrated? I mean, was something wrong with whale oil lamps and candles?

Ditto cars, trains, planes, and ships. What, your legs are broken?

(My tongue is planted firmly in my cheek. I know pool cleaners aren't quite on par with running water and flush toilets on the luxury/convenience/necessity continuum.)

No Need is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst No Need 0

I love my Barracuda G4! I don't ever have to sweep my pool. The water stays crystal clear with out any thought whats so ever. The salt system is working perfectly, I only need to add some acid once a week.
    Pool cleaners that work right, are well worth the money.JMHO

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

My aquabot is being repaired I miss it soooo much I will always have a pool cleaner
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread