+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spider gasket Lube or no Lube

Default Spider gasket Lube or no Lube

Been having problems with a newly installed spider gasket. Called 2 pool stores today both which told me that I should have not lubricated the spider gasket. From this forum I've read that it is necessary to lube the gasket.

Called the manuf. of the filter, Astral they said if it's not sealing with the lube then take it out and clean it off and see what happens. I did that and it still leaks when the filter is running, drips only. When the filter is off it doesn't leak. With the lube on it leaked with the filter on and off. They are sending me a new gasket since this one doesn't seem to be working out.

When I receive the new gasket I would like to know if I should apply lube or not. Thoughts?
    Nicole: 18' round AG with AstralPool Sand Filter and 1.5hp AstralPool Pump

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: Spider gasket Lube or no Lube

I would do as the manufacturer suggests.
    On the other hand, my water softener for my house was acting up a while back, I disassembled it and cleaned it and used my pool gasket lube on the gasket and it hasn't given me a problem since - the setup and the way it works is pretty much identical in operation to a pool filter just smaller.
    As for glueing the replacement gasket in, try to find out what hte manufacturer suggests, but I would use rubber cement to allow for flexing without tearing the glue or gasket.
    Your current gasket could have a deformed portion on it from the way it was packaged/stored and that is what could be causing your problem, outside of that, have you checked for burs and scars on the surface it moves on?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Just a suggestion but whatever glue you use I'd immediately reassemble the valve and put pressure on the gasket while the glue cures. If you're concerned about the glue oozing and sticking to the part that the handle lets lower onto the gasket, cut a piece of wax paper, circular with a hole in the middle. Put this over the gasket, lower the handle, then when the glue sets take the valve apart again and remove the wax paper. The glue should not stick to the wax paper. I used silicone seal in my gasket channels. As for lube, I never used any on mine. If it continues to drip the put a ball valve in the waste line. When mine leaked I did that and never had a prolem with the sight glass or anything else leaking.
    Al
    Last edited by Poconos; 05-25-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Don't really understand what the problem is. Everything to the naked eye looks good. I cleaned inside where the gasket meets the plastic. That looks good, however there was a tiny little scratch, not deep and extremely thin.

I installed a ball valve on the waste line. After sitting for about 16 hours I opened it up and only a few drips came out. So when the filter isn't running it's not really leaking. Let the filter run for about an hour yesterday and the site glass didn't even start to fill up.

Hopefully when they send me the new gasket I'll be ok. I'll use rubber cement or silicone next time. I have some silicone that's I've used to fix a hose connection and a plumbing leak. Is that what you refer to as "silicone seal"?

When I attached the gasket with super glue, I weighted it down with a 10lb weight.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Hi Nicole,
    The gasket may just need a littel time to settle into place, before you go installing the new gasket they're replacing this one with, give this one a little time in case it "settles in"
    Even the tiny scratch can leak, however, through movement of the filter, the gasket will eventually adapt and cover that scratch.
    The small leak you're describing likely won't create any prressure to blow off your sight glass, if you check it once a day and drain what collects, you'll keep it running indefinitely, and like I pointed out, it'll probably become less and less.

That's what I was hoping would happen that the gasket would eventually conform itself to the plastic.

Thanks for the advice.

+ Reply to Thread