+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: solar cover on/off for best heating?

Default solar cover on/off for best heating?

I searched, but 15 pages of threads! So point blank- will the pool water heat up faster with a blue solar cover on(and replacing at night) or off on sunny days? I don't care right now about evaporation etc., just heating.

thanks.

Default Re: solar cover on/off for best heating?

No clear answer available, and you do care about evaporation because it is a major cause of cooler water. The cover blocks some of the sunlight without a doubt. I've never seen a good number for how much, but on a typical calm day you'd gain more heat with the cover off. On a windy day, evaporation might remove more heat than the extra sun would give you.

In my experience the pool warms faster with the cover on. For example, air temp here has been in the 60's and we keep the pool heated to 84 (with the heater). The last couple days the air temp has risen to low 70's and the pool has jumped to 86 during the day with the cover on. In my opinion if the pool water started at 84 it wouldn't rise like that due to 70 degree weather.

My two cents only, your results may vary.

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

I can give you a direct example: With my cover left on during day/night I get about 2.5 degrees a day (10,000 gal IG). With the cover on only at night and off during the day, I get about 1-1.5 degree increase. Keep in mind I'm in a very sunny, very dry climate. So, yes, leaving the cover on will get you higher temps--at least in my experience, at my location.

Lately, due to cool evenings, I can't seem to break the 82 degree barrier. Our daytime temps have been 88-92 degrees, with nights around 58-65 degrees. I usually loose about 1-1.5 degrees at night, even with the cover on, at the cooler temps. But the pool recovers quickly and by 1:00pm, it'll be back at where it was the day previous.

Like it or not, evaporation is everything; you loose 70% of your heat through evaporation. I think this is why even on a sunny/hot day you'll probably gain more heat with the cover on.
    Last edited by steveinaz; 05-23-2007 at 01:29 PM.

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

not sure it warms up faster for me with a cover on..more so, saving heat due to evaporation...and cools off a lot less definitely with a cover on.

My experience in Kentucky:

When the air temperature is going to be above the water temperature, and little to no wind, I get more heat gain without my solar cover on. The higher the air temp, the less of a problem the winds are, or so it seems for me.

When the air temperature is below the water temperature, it's usually better on.

Of course, if you are trying to maintain your water temp, you should always have it covered when not in use overnight.

Bottom line is that when the air temperature is below your water temperature you will experience much faster heat loss via evaporation than when it is at or above the water temperature. Wind and humidity obviously play parts as well (wind more so than humidity unless you have near 100% humidities).

I'm in the process of collecting some real numbers since our weather pattern for the past few days and into the coming week like a broken record. If I'm able to establish any solid numbers that indicate 'the truth' I'll be sure to submit my results here.

This particular topic is very hotly (no pun intended) debated in any pool forum. I'm wondering if Mythbusters would consider putting this one to the test in some scientifically controlled conditions? I think I'll send an e-mail to Adam and Jaime! They can use my pool as long as they send Kari to help out
    --
    Phantomandy

18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian / Hayward H250 Heater / Hayward Sand Filter / Rainbow Trichlor Online Feeder / Treated using BBB and Trichlor Combo / Tested using the world famous (and now exclusive) PS233 Kit

Our water was 78F at 12" when I opened the pool 2 weeks ago.

Over the past week, the weather has been generally calm with sunny warm days, 85-88F and cool nights, 55-65F. With the solar cover on 24/7*, the first 3-4" of water (at the surface) have hit a hot 95F repeatedly (pump off all day). At 12" the temp is 84, at 2' the temp is 80. *We remove the cover and swim for about an hour every evening and replace the cover.

I can't imagine the surface getting so hot without the cover. Would the water warm more evenly and deeper with direct sun rays? Idunno.

I am in the Nashville, TN area. If you are in this area without a solar cover, what are your temps?
    27' AG

Steve
    Last edited by ePoolUser; 05-23-2007 at 08:35 PM. Reason: more info added.

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

How about this test? It's not scientific, and has tons of flaws.

Lay on the ground on a sunny day.....how hot do you feel?

Lay on the ground on a sunny day with the solar cover over you....how hot do you feel? (heck, put a towel over you and you're still hotter).

My lawn burned last year from leaving the solar cover on the grass for 1.5 hours while I cleaned it off due to bugs, bird bombs, dirt, etc. My lawn doesn't burn from just the sun.

IMHO, the solar cover traps the heat and reduces heat loss.

BTW, yard totally recovered.

CaryB
    Go Sens Go!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

With it on, period.
    Carl

Wow. I guess there is no definative answer. I am in Western NY-Buffalo area. My pool is in direct sun morning til night and we're in for a few cloudless days so I want to take advantage. I am just concerned about getting my water up to a comfortable temp. It was 70 yesterday. My youngest couldn't stand it any more and went in! Way to cold for me. We always have it on at night. Just wasn't sure if on/off during day was better. I have a heater, but would rather not pay to heat if I don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread