+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fiberglass, slight yellow whole pool stain/coating

Default fiberglass, slight yellow whole pool stain/coating

The entire pool has developed a light yellow coating that comes off if I rub crushed vitamin C on it. Is there a chemical that I can put into the water that would serve the same purpose. Do I need to post the results from my water test that I had done this week?

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: fiberglass, slight yellow whole pool stain/coating

Yes, there is a way to get rid of the staining - you will need ascorbic acid in bulk (it is vitamin C) Here is the way to use it and two places to get ascorbic acid:

Here is the ascorbic treatment:
    Here are the directions:
    Take your chlorine down to 0, if there is chlorine in the water it won't hurt, it will just eat up the ascorbic acid, so you will need more to get rid of the stains.
    You will need about a half to one pound of ascorbic acid per 10,000 gal. I like to go lighter on it and see if all the

Put the filter on circulate.
    Use a cup and go around the perimeter of the pool and drop it down the sides as you go.
    Let the ascorbic acid circulate for 1/2 hour. You will be amazed how the stain just disappears before your eyes.

If the stain is not all gone, leave the filter in circulate and add more ascorbic acid close to where you still see stain. Leave it in circulate until all of the stain is gone. (add more ascorbic acid if it circulates for 1/2 hour and there is still stain)

When the stain is gone, add enough sequestering agent for the volume of your pool - more is better than not enough.

Put the filter back on filter and leave it on 24/7.

The ascorbic acid will bring your ph down, after 24 hours you can start to bring up your ph and alkalinity - use baking soda first, it will raise both ph and alk. Make sure you test in between, because you don't wantyour ph to go any higher than 7.2. If your alkalinity is in range, and you still need to raise your ph, use Borax to take it up to no higher than 7.2. After 48 hours you can start to bring up your chlorine. You want to do this slowly. It will take a lot of chlorine - I prefer to use bleach only at this time, and try to take it up to your minimum chlorine for your cya according to the "best guess chart" Do not shock! Do not shock for at least 2 weeks! Make sure you keep your ph low for (7.2) for a week or two - it won't be hard because the ascorbic acid will help it stay low. Once your chlorine starts to hold, it means that you have used up the ascorbic acid in the water and it will be easy to rebalance the pool back to your regular parameters. You may want to use a polyquat algacide as a deterrant to getting algae while your chlorine is low.

Here are two links to buy ascorbic acid:

http://www.msm-msm.com/store/agora.c...scorbic%20Acid

http://www.chemistrystore.com/Ascorbic_Acid.htm

feel free to ask any questions you may have
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I seem to be having the same problem. I used a commercial Stain Treatment about 10 days ago ($25.00/lb) The stain is now back- it is not a metal stain because I used a little of the Stain Treatment on the stain and it immeadiately disappeared- I then tested a small area with Metal Out and it did nothing. So I am now ordering Vit C but do you have any idea why the stain came back. FC-5; CC-0; TA-120; PH- 7.5; Calcium- 100; CYA- 50.

The stain treatment I used is be Haviland Chemical and I am certain it is ascorbic acid powder. 24 hr after treatment I started bringing my FC up and then adjusted my pH and TA. 5 days after I did the treatment I had t go out of town and it was raining so I added a bag of ultra shock and some polyquat. I cam back 2 days later to the stain- my water has been consistent- with0 CC when testing but I cant figure out why the stain. Any ideas?

I am going to follow your directions when I get my ascorbic acid in. It is hot, humid and sunny during the dayand rainy in the late afternoon and early evening. Should I worry about algae when I lower my chlorine to 0 for 48 hrs/ I will use Polyquat but should I just use 3-4 oz as prevention or more as if I am traeating an algae problem. Sorry if these questions seem stupid - I have a tendency to over think or over do.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Did you add any sequestering agent after putting in the stain treatment? You say that it is not a metal stain, but ascorbic acid removes metal stains - metal out is a sequestering agent, not a stain remover. Chlorine will remove organic stains only. The other thing is you should not shock the pool for at least 2 weeks after a stain treatment. You have to bring your chlorine up to the low end of your chart (the best guess chart sticky in the chlorine forum), starting 48 hours after the the treatment. You can put a maintainence dose of algaecide in since you have already put it in the water before you left on your trip. I like to use bleach and raise the chlorine slowly - you can also put a chlorine puck in the skimmer basket if you have a sand or DE filter. Keep your fliter running 24/7. You don't have to let your chlorine drop to 0 for 48 hours before the treatment. Just let it drop down to 1 or 2ppms. It will not hurt the ascorbic acid, it will just use up some of it faster. But just make sure you put the pump on circulate for about an hour or two or until all of the stain is lifted off and make sure there is enough sequestereing agent in the water. There are no stupid questions
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Do you have a particular sequestering agent that you use? I just went out and look what I have is not Metal Out but Metal Magic I would think it is probably the same thing. I added it to the pool after I added the Haviland Stain Treatment last time. Any idea what causes this stain?

I have used metal magic by proteam. They are all bascially the same. Jack's Magic is good, Sequasol and Metal Free too. The one thing is not to shock the pool until all of the metal is sequestered. Most stain removal products say not to shock for at least 2 weeks. I usually put a little more sequestering agent in again in about 7 days after the treatment. The important thing is to keep your ph down at about 7 to 7.3 while you are adding chlorine, and add the chlorine slowly, a couple of ppms a day till you get it to shock if you need to get it to shock. If there is no combined chlorine, there is no reason to take it to shock. Just keep the chlorine at the low end of the "best guess chart" - but you must test frequently so that you don't let it get too low and get an algae bloom.
    Northeast PA

Mbar is the metals expert here, and I'm not questioning what she is telling you at all. I just want to point out that sometimes you can eliminate the metal stains without the ascorbic acid treatment. I have iron in my fill water, and have had staining a several times. My stains have always lifted with the use of the metal sequestrant alone. It's worth trying the metal sequestrant alone first, making sure that you put enough of it in to keep all of the metal in solution. You will need the metal sequestrant anyway, even if you use the ascorbic acid for the stains.

My pool is vinyl, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I suspect that the age of the stains plays a part too.....if they are relatively fresh, the sequestrant alone is more likely to do the job.

daisy11 is exactly right, you can often lift stains by lowering the ph to 7 and putting in the sequeterer. It does matter how long the stains are there, and a vinyl liner is easier to lift the stains from. Also if you have a fiberglass pool, they tend to stain much easier, and more often. Another thing that works with a fiberglass pool if you only have a few noticeable stains is to get a very fine sandpaper and sand the stain. If the whole pool is stained, you will need to do a treatment, either with the sequestering agent (you should try this first, because you need it in the water with the ascorbic acid), and if that doesn't work, then the ascorbic acid. The reason that metals fall out of solution is with a combination of high ph along with high chlorine. There are many ways to get metals into the water - fill source, and plumbing. and wind blown.
    Northeast PA

Thanks for your help. A couple more question...If I go ahead and purchase the Vitamin C, as so informed above, what Sequestrant should I purchase, how much, and from where? Thank god for smart people like all of you!!!!

Any sequestering agent is fine - Jack's Magic, Sequasol, Metal Free, Metal Magic, they are all basically the same. Metal Free has no phosphates. You can follow the directions on the bottle. What kind of pool do you have, and how many gallons does it hold? I can tell you amounts with the information.
    Northeast PA

+ Reply to Thread