+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chlorine level

Default Chlorine level

If CYA is 30 we shoot for 1-3ppm of FC. Why not higher? Keeping it a little higher would reduce the need to check it so often if you're afraid of it dropping. With an SWG you don't notice the higher chlorine levels, so is there a good reason not to keep it elevated? Just thinking out loud...

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Chlorine level

Since most SWG recommend a CYA in the 60-80 ppm range and many people have found that keeping their pools with SWGs in the 3-5 ppm range works well they are actually keeping their pools at a LOWER FC level then Ben's chart suggests for the CYA level (5-10 ppm FC). If you are keeping your CYA at 30-50 ppm then Ben's chart suggests keeping trhe FC at 3-5 ppm.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Alright, but that's not really my question. Why 3-5ppm FC? Why not 10 just to be safe and ensure there is plenty in the pool?

Ohm_Boy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Ohm_Boy 0

I suppose you could keep it high to a degree. CYA tends to 'buffer' the chlorine - it not only keeps some in 'reserve', as it were, it also kinda takes the edge off the chlorine too, making it less 'harsh'. It makes it not as aggressive to fabric, vinyl, eyes and hair.
    As long as you can keep the CL levels below the point at which it tends to cause problems at a given CYA level, you should be OK.

Sorry about the phrase-ology, but it helps me to understand things.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

The life of a SWG cell is directly proportional to time it is on. The higher the chlorine level, the longer the cell must be on and therefore the shorter the life of the cell.

There is enough chlorine at 3-5 ppm so why go to 10? If you start having issues (i.e. cloudy water or algae) at 3-5 ppm, that is when I would bump it up.

Last year I ran mine at 1-2 ppm with a CYA of 60 ppm without any problems at all. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. This year I am at 2 ppm with a CYA of 40 ppm and still no problems.
    Last edited by mas985; 05-22-2007 at 07:59 PM.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy View Post
    Sorry about the phrase-ology, but it helps me to understand things.
    No "problem". Helps me 'understand'.

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    The life of a SWG cell is directly proportional to time it is on. The higher the chlorine level, the longer the cell must be on and therefore the shorter the life of the cell.
    I understand that but I live in Michigan so my SWG gets used about 4-5 months and should last twice as long as most people's.

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    There is enough chlorine at 3-5 ppm so why go to 10? If you start having issues (i.e. cloudy water or algae) at 3-5 ppm, that is when I would bump it up.

Last year I ran mine at 1-2 ppm with a CYA of 60 ppm without any problems at all. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. This year I am at 2 ppm with a CYA of 40 ppm and still no problems.
    I think you're right, and my water is finally clear and has been for a good week or so so maybe I have it figured out after all. I'll quit worrying about it.

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread