+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a Solution for Vinyl Slope Slippery in Spots

Default Need a Solution for Vinyl Slope Slippery in Spots

The slope in my vinyl inground pool is slippery in a couple of spots. It seems to be where the pool crete is exceptionally smooth and the vinyl is like a slipp and slide. I read about using bathroom strips for steps, but will they work on the slope of a vinyl pool? Any other solutions?

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: Need a Solution for Vinyl Slope Slippery in Spots

Post all of your test numbers, in my experience whenver a pool is really slippery, it is due to a little algae starting.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I would brush the pool and check you FC, CC readings. It was always algea, like Mbar mentioned, for me.

Joe

Sorry so long getting test results. I don't know how to test CC, but I have total chlorine and there is not chlorine smell coming from the pool. Today's readings are:

Total Chlorine 1.5
    PH 7.5
    TA 50
    CYA 40
    Total Hardness 180
    TA 50

We have an aquarite SWG. If it is algea it is a very slow growing, only slippery in that one spot on the slope.

Thanks for your help

Webfeet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

With a cya of 40, you should be keeping your chlorine between 3 and 6 all the time. If you drop below that, you run the risk of algae starting. Is your chlorine level typically as low as you reported above? I agree with Joe, I would brush the pool and I would go ahead and shock it with some bleach. If it is some slight algae getting started that is making is slippery, shocking it should take care of it. Also, your TA is pretty low. I would suggest adding some baking soda and trying to get it between 80-125.

How much bleach would I need to raise the pool to 15 ppm? The pools holds about 26,000 gallons of water. The TC level is about 1.5. We turned up the swg some, but would like to conserve it and use bleach. Thanks for your help. I will get the baking soda in soon.

CanuckPool is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher CanuckPool 0

You should probably have your SWG turned up to a higher setting during normal use. If you get it going right you should pretty much never have to shock your pool.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thanks for the info. We have the chlorine up to 10 ppm or more. Our test vial only goes to 5 ppm. I know this, because we diluted the pool water with 1/2 distilled water and the vial still read 5 ppm. Can I dilute the pool water futher to show a higher level of chlorine, if it is present? How I would I dilute the water more? Could I use 1 part pool water to 2 parts distilled and then triple the reading on the Ch test vial?
    Thanks, Web

Quote Originally Posted by webfeet View Post
    Thanks for the info. We have the chlorine up to 10 ppm or more. Our test vial only goes to 5 ppm. I know this, because we diluted the pool water with 1/2 distilled water and the vial still read 5 ppm. Can I dilute the pool water futher to show a higher level of chlorine, if it is present? How I would I dilute the water more? Could I use 1 part pool water to 2 parts distilled and then triple the reading on the Ch test vial?
    Thanks, Web
    Yes, you can increase the dilution and just multiply by the total parts of water to get the real number.

+ Reply to Thread