+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Testing chlorine when shocking

Default Testing chlorine when shocking

I'm trying to keep chlorine levels at 12ppm to clear up algae. The test kit doesnt go that high. Am I missing something? How do I test to make sure I'm staying arount 12? Thanks

John

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Default Re: Testing chlorine when shocking

John,
    Are you using an OTO test? If so, you can dilute the pool water with 2 parts distilled water, multiply your result times 3, and get a rough idea of your chlorine level. Use the same measuring vessel (a shot glass works well) to measure your pool water and the distilled water. Just fill one of whatever you're using with pool water, dump it in a second vessel, repeat twice with your distilled water, mix well, and then fill your comparator tube from that mixture.

If you use an FAS-DPD chlorine test (e.g. the taylor K-2006), you can test up to 50 ppm.
    Last edited by KurtV; 05-20-2007 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtV View Post
    John,
    Are you using an OTO test? If so, you can dilute the pool water with 2 parts distilled water, multiply your result times 3, and get a rough idea of your chlorine level. Use the same measuring vessel (a shot glass works well) to measure your pool water and the distilled water. Just fill one of whatever your using with pool water, dump it in a second vessel, repeat twice with your distilled water, mix well, and then fill your comparator tube from that mixture.

If you use an FAS-DPD chlorine test (e.g. the taylor K-2006), you can test up to 50 ppm.
    Kurt,

Thanks for the quick reply, although I only understood about 1/16 of it. I'm using an hth kit I found recommended in an earlier thread. Is this what you mean by an OTO test? Are you saying to put the test chemical in the dilluted water. I confused as to what I'm mulipling and what I'm comparing the mixture too. Sorry for the newbie question.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by jdw-tx View Post
    Kurt,

Thanks for the quick reply, although I only understood about 1/16 of it. I'm using an hth kit I found recommended in an earlier thread. Is this what you mean by an OTO test? Are you saying to put the test chemical in the dilluted water. I confused as to what I'm mulipling and what I'm comparing the mixture too. Sorry for the newbie question.

If the hth kit is a plastic vial with a yellow scale, and you add drops to your water and compare it against the scale, it is an OTO kit. What Kurt wants you to do is take one part pool water (CarlD uses a shotglass ) and mix it with 2 equal parts of distilled water. Mix well, then draw your sample for testing from that mixture. Fill your test tube to the line, add your reagent, compare your test against the yellow scale, then multiply that number by 3. It loses a little in accuracy, but it's close enough for what you're wanting to do.

Janet

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

OK, let me break it down for you.
    You have the HTH kit and for testing chlorine you have a bottle that says "OTO" on it. There's a big name for it: orthotolo-something...no matter.

Your chlorine color indicator only goes to 5-10ppm. This means if you are testing chlorine it goes to 5ppm, but for people who use bromine instead, it goes to 10ppm.

Ok, the "copyrighted" CarlD Shot Glass method is as follows:
    1) Buy steam distilled water. You can get this at any supermarket or discount drug chain. It will be clearly marked and a gallon will be a couple of dollars, if that. Don't use anything else.
    2) Get a shot glass full of pool water (that's what you want to test).
    3) Pour it into a clean container (like a pyrex measuring cup from the kitchen).
    4) Fill the shot glass with distilled water.
    5) Pour the shot of distilled water into the pool water
    6) mix so you have a 1 to 1 mix of pool water and distilled water.
    7) Use this mix in your test, pouring it into the test unit (called a cell), add the drops of OTO, but NOW the reading you get is doubled. For example, say it indicates 4ppm. That means you actually have 8ppm. You can measure up to 10ppm this way.

But if you want to go higher, in steps 4 and 5 add TWO shots of distilled water. Now the solution is diluted to a 1 to 2 solution and when used you TRIPLE the reading...so if it says 4ppm it means you have 12ppm.

And so on.

I like the shot glass because it's a very easy way to get exact amounts of pool water and distilled water. Large enough for precise measuring, small enough to be easily managed.

That's it!
    Last edited by CarlD; 05-20-2007 at 09:20 PM.
    Carl

Thanks for dumbing it down for me. I appreciate the help.

John

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post

I like the shot glass because it's a very easy way to get exact amounts of pool water and distilled water. Large enough for precise measuring, small enough to be easily managed.

That's it!
    Carl, I thought you liked the shot glass because it kept it handy to mix up a drink after testing your water!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    Carl, I thought you liked the shot glass because it kept it handy to mix up a drink after testing your water!
    Yes, but not the same glass!
    Carl

What? You wouldn't drink your pool water? I'm shocked!
    34 X 22/15 inground vinyl w/ Hayward equipment

At least not till AFTER I tested it...

Kinda gives new meaning to "bourbon 'n' branch", doesn't it?
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread