+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aeration and its effect on pH

Default Aeration and its effect on pH

How much areation for how long is needed to raise pH levels? I'm at 7.2 now and am targeting 7.6

TA is around 125 which I assume is fine for a vinyl liner pool........ is there a acceptable TA range for a vinyl liner? Do I need to lower my TA for aeration to be effective?

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Default Re: Aeration and its effect on pH

JB,
    You can raise pH through aeration but that's normally only done in an attempt to lower TA (you first lower the pH which also lowers TA and then aerate to allow pH to rise without rasing TA).

Most people raise pH by adding borax (regular 20 mule team borax from the grocery store).

Why do you want to raise your pH? It's in the acceptable range of 7.2-7.8.
    Last edited by KurtV; 05-20-2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Typo.

Thanks Kurt ............... I just assumed I needed to get my pH closer to 7.6

If you think it is good a 7.2 I will leave it alone. Do I need to lower my TA which is now about 125 to 130? My water is still a bit cloudy and I had thought that it may be due to my TA level.

Also my water surface develops suds, almost like laundry suds. My water is very 'soft' which I believe is the cause with almost no indication of calcium. I assumed that I did not need calcium since I have a vinyl liner.

Any advice would be helpful.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

You don't need calcium in a vinyl liner pool. Have you used algaecide? Some algaecides, especially if you have used a lot lately will cause suds. Your alk and ph are fine. If you are using trichlor tabs, it could be bringing your ph down. If you give a little more info on what you have been using in your pool, and a full set of numbers we can answer better.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Thanks Marie ......... for the very helpful response.

I did just use one (1) quart of poly 60 to open the pool just last week. As yu mentioned, maybe that is what is causing the suds. How long does it take to go away??
    Been keeping the clorine high around 10-12ppm for the opening week, but will drop to around 2 next week.

Numbers as follows:

25k IG vinyl
    Sand filter
    CC 0
    FC hig now (but will drop next week)
    TA 120 - 130
    pH 7.2 - 7.4

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Your numbers are great. You didn't post your cya - this is what will determine how high you need your chlorine. Chlorine at 1 - 2 is ok if you have almost no cya. Here is a good chart to follow, there is a sticky at the top of the chlorine forum:

Use the info in this chart to help you figure out what levels of chlorine you need to maintain in your pool based on the amount of CYA (cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer) that you have in your pool. (FC = free chlorine)

Stabilizer . . . . . . Min. FC . . . . Max FC . . . 'Shock' FC
    => 0 ppm . . . . . . . 1 ppm . . . . . 3 ppm . . . . 10 ppm
    => 10 - 20 ppm . . . . 2 ppm . . . . . 5 ppm . . . . 12 ppm
    => 30 - 50 ppm . . . . 3 ppm . . . . . 6 ppm . . . . 15 ppm
    => 60 - 90 ppm . . . . 5 ppm . . . . . 10 ppm . . .. 20 ppm
    => 100 - 200 ppm . . . 8 ppm . . . . . 15 ppm . . .. 25 ppm

As far as the suds go - I think they will be gone soon, as long as everything is good with your filter
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

I think your TA is fine, especially with very low levels of calcium (what is the calcium level, by the way?).

Thanks Marie and Kurt for the helpful advice and words of support.

Kurt ....... I really can't tell what my calcium level is. All I know is that it is so low that my Taylor drop tester can't determine the level. When I set up the test, the color starts off as a purpleish blue (not red as the instructions indicate) and does not change.

+ Reply to Thread