+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding Walk-In Steps to Inground Pool

rilesworld is offline ** No working email address ** rilesworld 0

Default Adding Walk-In Steps to Inground Pool

The next time I have to replace the liner in our 16x32 Grecian inground pool I was considering having some walk-in steps added. We currently just have two ladders.

Has anyone here added steps to their inground? Any disadvantages to doing this. Are they difficult to install? Is it difficult to install the liner with walk-in steps?

Thanks,

Riles

Default Re: Adding Walk-In Steps to Inground Pool

I can't make any statements regarding retrofits, but I'd be happy to share my experience with a new construction and some photos that may shed some light.

First I'll share what I know. The steps on my pool (18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian) simply replaced the entire wall panel at the center of the shallow end. The steps are fitted between the two 'corner' wall panels and sit on the footing with tublar pillars.

The steps have a gasket that the liner covers, and there is a bracket that screws over the liner during installation (like around your skimmer opening) and a finishing strip to cover the screws. This is attached during the liner installation, and excess liner cut out after the initial fill but before getting up to step level.

I guess the difficulty for you is going to be determined by how hard it is to remove concrete decking, skill of your builder (or yourself if a DIY project), and the ability to find steps that will fit based on where you want them placed.

My builder swore by the Quaker brand plastic steps, and I've been pleased with their build quality. I also had hydro jets installed and plumbed in during the build (about $80 extra) but that might be difficult in a retrofit build.

Here are the photos of my pool construction from start to finish. There are some detail shots of the steps: http://www.andyandersons.com/index.p...view_album.php

There are lots of shots with good detail on how the steps are installed, as well as how the liner was installed over them duirng and after the initial fill.

Enjoy!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Adding Walk-In Steps to Inground Pool

Riles, I don't own a pool but have 'retro'd' in steps to ~20 liner pools (I've also done it the way Andy said ~ 6 times). Another option is to get 'drop-in' steps - but there are drawbacks to those.

The only brand of the retro steps I know of is cardinal. Baystate Pool Supply, a subsidiary of Ft. Wayne Pools, sells them -- last year I talked to someone there and they said they don't sell to the public - I did a google search and found Cardinal, but when I called them the person I spoke to wasn't sure how to order them (they weren't on their web page). I offer this in case you may have more luck than I did last year in ordering them. If you can procure some, I'll give you some tips on installing them
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

rilesworld is offline ** No working email address ** rilesworld 0

Thanks everyone. I would of guessed this was a little more common, but it seems it is not. I have thought about the wedding cake steps, but as you said they have their own set of problems. the trouble is that adding permanent steps looks like it is going to take some serious $$$.

I will certainly take you up on your offer for tips if we decide to take this further.

Riles

I am going to add steps when I replace my liner next year. I believe most pool builders can add steps to the inside of the pool and the liner is fitted to go over the steps. I believe they put a stronger thicker vinyl on the treads of the steps to hold up to the extra wear. I believe I was told by the friend that had their pool done in Florida that the steps are made of concrete. I was also told by a pool store in Missouri that they make a heavy duty fiberglass version but I haven't seen them. My 20 X 40 IG pool has a sand bottom so it can be altered easily to fit the steps correctly. I currently have the drop in type and I don't really like them because they are a pain in the neck to take in and out. Good luck on getting yours added. Please post pics after you get it done so we can see how it turned out. Take care.

+ Reply to Thread