+ Reply to Thread

Thread: advice on patching corner of stairs

Default advice on patching corner of stairs

I have a 20x40 inground, vinyl liner pool. The liner is really old - you can't see the pattern at the deep end. It has a patch in the deep end that has been holding for 2 years now, and a few on the flat parts of the steps. Unfortunately, the step now has a major rip in the corner of the second step. I knew I lowered the water to below the top step, but when I opened the pool, the water was below the first two steps - about a foot lower than I wanted. This is probably why my brand new safety cover pulled the lugs out of some spots of my deck - it streched much further, since without the drainage, it would have settled on the water with all the heavy snow weighting it down.

Anyway, my issue is a rip like an upside down Y, right at the corner of the stairs. the liner is so old, I'm afraid to do too much because it is brittle. How would you fix it? I can't think of a way to get the shape without many patches. I may resort to calling the pool store for this one.

Also - what is a ball part on a new liner. I know it can vary a LOT, but if anyone has replaced in the past year or so a 20x40 size, including installation and water, that would be a help to know how much to save for next year!

- betty

Default Re: advice on patching corner of stairs

A 20 x 40 liner, with a 20 year warranty, runs about $3000.00 here, if the pool company installs it. South Arkansas area.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: advice on patching corner of stairs

Just an idea on forming the patch. Is it possible to fabricate a shape out of something close to what the patch has to cover then using a heat gun (electric paint stripper or a hair dryer on steroids) almost melt the patch material so it will take a set in the desired shape? Then use Boxer-100 adhesive to do the patch. This is a slow acting solvent so it won't aggressively attack either the liner or the patch but it does take a while to set. Like days for a good patch maybe. You can hold the patch in place with duct tape.
    As I said...just a thought.
    Al

+ Reply to Thread