+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has 6% Utlra Bleach Changed?

Default Has 6% Utlra Bleach Changed?

I started the opening of my pool late this year and had do deal with some pretty significant amount of algae this year. I ended out super chlorinated with walmart 6% ultra bleach until we had no more algae, but my water does not seem to clear up what so ever. It remains cloudy white and almost like a granular look to it. After reading several other post, I am starting to wonder if Walmart has changed their supplier for bleach (similar to Clorox)? Hopefully, this is not the case... However, I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same as me. I am located south of Houston, in the event it is a regional change they have made with their supplier.

BTW, my chlorine has keep steady at 15ppm when I was shocking overnight and my CYA is at 30. However, my chlorine does seem to dissipate quickly each day.

Currently my readinds are
    FC is at 4ppm
    TA is 120
    PH 7.4
    CYA 30

I also just added a product called Pool Perfect from naturalchemistry.com which states:
    Pool Perfect is a natural enzyme product that biodegrades organic contaminants to reduce maintenance, prevent scum lines, eliminate chemical odors and produce clear, perfect water.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Has 6% Utlra Bleach Changed?

I'm near Shreveport, LA, and use WalMart's ultra bleach. I don't notice anything different about it. I suspect that the cloudiness in your pool is probably dead algae that hasn't filtered out yet....remember, the bleach kills it, but doesn't remove it from the pool. The filter takes care of that. I would leave the filter running 24/7 and brush the pool daily to get it all suspended in the water so the filter can get it all out.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    I'm near Shreveport, LA, and use WalMart's ultra bleach. I don't notice anything different about it. I suspect that the cloudiness in your pool is probably dead algae that hasn't filtered out yet....remember, the bleach kills it, but doesn't remove it from the pool. The filter takes care of that. I would leave the filter running 24/7 and brush the pool daily to get it all suspended in the water so the filter can get it all out.

Janet
    I have been doing exactly that for over 2 weeks now. My filter has not stopped and the product I just used was supposed to take care of the cloudy water. I have been backwashing regularly too. Do you think I should drain the pool halfway then refill?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

No, at this point, I don't think you need to do a partial drain. But, I would not add any more products like Pool Perfect if it were my pool. Often, the more stuff you add, the more of a problem you have. What type of filter do you have?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Pool Perfect is an enzyme. It is not effective when your chlorine levels are at shock level because it will get oxidized by the chlorine. Wait until your chlorine levels are lower. Also, did you use PoolPerfect or PoolPerfect with PhosFree. The second one contains a phosphate eliminator and those can cause the pool to cloud if you have phosphates in your water (This is how they work!). Both products do work to help prevent scum lines as a maintenance item once your water is balanced. Also, where is your calcium? If it is very high that might be the cause of your cloudy water.
    As far as the new forumula Clorox, the additive they put in it is also the same thing that is in many pool clarifiers so it should not really have any detrimental effects. Just keep filtering and have patience!

Edit: if your chlorine is disappating quickly you probably still have algae. Do you have any combined chlorine? If you do I would maintain the 15 ppm level of FC until you have no chlorine loss overnight and you have no CC. The PoolPerfect really would not have any effect unless you used the one with PhosFree, which can cause cloudiness. Just filter it out and you will be fine!
    Last edited by waterbear; 05-15-2007 at 12:27 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Did you check to make sure it wasn't one of the scented bottles?

Janet

+ Reply to Thread