+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can't get my Chlorine level up

markphin is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst markphin 1 star

Default Can't get my Chlorine level up

I am struggling getting my chlorine level up after opening my pool. I opened 3 days ago. Pool was cloudy but blue. Some dead worms and other junk in at the tiem. Have been running filter 24-7 since. water is clear now. My trouble is that since I opened I dumped 9 large jugs of 6% bleach in. Plus about 8 pounds of granular shock, The Cl level was up to about 6 when I checked after the initial 9 jugs. But has since dropped back to about 1.

36k gallon gunite
    Alk - 140 a bit high
    PH 7.3

I was using bleach left over from last year. Could it have lost some strength over the winter?
    I am going to get more bleach today. Should I just keep bleaching and be patient. I just don't remember struggling like thisother years.

Default Re: Can't get my Chlorine level up

What's your stabilizer (CYA) level?

OOps for got to post that, CYA is 20

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

It's probable that your bleach has lost some strength over the winter, and it's even more likely that you've just got a huge chlorine demand, considering that you're just opening. Have you tested for a CC level?

Janet

Janet,
    I have a leslie's test kit. I think it just tests for CC. which was about 1.0 this AM. I usually take for test for FC to pool store.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by markphin View Post
    Janet,
    I have a leslie's test kit. I think it just tests for CC. which was about 1.0 this AM. I usually take for test for FC to pool store.
    CC will be the combined chlorine--if yours is truly 1.0, then you have something that's using up the chlorine in your pool, and you need to continue to hold your shock level to get rid of it. Most kits that only test for one thing test for TC.

Janet

You're right, I meant TC not CC. I have brain fades over the winter around this stuff.
    So, just keep dumping bleach in until I can maintain Right. I thought I had it licked the other night, but by next morning it was down again.

Quote Originally Posted by markphin View Post
    You're right, I meant TC not CC. I have brain fades over the winter around this stuff.
    So, just keep dumping bleach in until I can maintain Right. I thought I had it licked the other night, but by next morning it was down again.

Yep, just keep at it. The more times a day you test and add, the quicker it's going to start holding....it's letting the shock level yo-yo up and down that takes forever to clear up a problem. YOu want to shock it, then maintain that level until the chlorine holds steady overnight.

Might want to consider upping your CYA level just a little bit if you find that you're still having trouble holding a chlorine level throughout the day, once you get the pool cleaned up.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread