+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I want green grass!!

Smile I want green grass!!

This is definitely off topic!! Anyone have a brilliant way for keeping your dog's urine from killing your grass? I've tried the "pills" from the pet store, tried tomato juice, bought some stuff at the pet store that you are supposed to spray on the spot when you notice it dying but I really think that is was just green spray paint. I spend waayy too much time digging up dead spots and replanting grass and watering. Anyone? Anyone?

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: I want green grass!!

We have a lot of land, only cut about 3 acres, so I just trained my dog to relieve himself in the tall grass that doesn't get cut.

Many people train their dog to use the same spot as a toilet, it doesn't take much, just some supervision and persuasion and a few "good boy's" when done correctly, by that I mean for you to take your dog outside, watch him sniff around, if he's about to go where you don't want give him a firn no and walk him to where you do want him to go, keep him there until he does his business, after several times of doing this, he will know that this spot is his toilet and will go there automatically.
    If you want, designate a small corner of your yard as his toilet, put a couple of boards as an edge and fill inside with round 3/4" gravel don't use crushed gravel, it hurts their pads and they won't like going on it.

Set a pitcher or small bucket of water outside the door. Follow Fido around with the water, (or watch closely where he goes) and when he wets, dump the water on the spot. This will dilute the urine and hopefully eliminate your dead grass.
    ~Grace

Avid reader of this forum
    but alas, no pool... yet!

I believe it's only the female that will cause the problems. Tomato juice works just fine for mine.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

No. Males kill the grass too, they are just more likely to go on the bushes or mailbox instead of directly in the yard.

Every time your dog urinates you pour tomato juice on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffski View Post

LOL..... no, I feed them a little bit of tomato juice each day. Some people put it in the food but my dogs take a couple days to eat a bowl of food so I just pour a little in a dish and let them have it.

I guess that explains the dead spot near my mail box
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffski View Post
    No. Males kill the grass too, they are just more likely to go on the bushes or mailbox instead of directly in the yard.

What I've heard is that females are worse because they usually squat when the urinate, while the male stands up and lifts his leg. This action spreads the urine over a wider area and it isn't as concentrated.

who knows

dan

I have/had 4 dogs, male and female, and have grown various types of turf due to moving around the country.

In my experience, my male and my females have all been about even in their ability to kill grass - of ALL kinds. For my females, however, the burn spot is quickly surrounded by the most lush grass ever grown, having been given a healthy dose of nitrogen. Eventually, the good grass covers the burn spot. Theoretically, that should also happen with the male, but doesn't. Maybe his urine has a different pH or something, or maybe he's just weird.

What I've found most beneficial is to have a lawn grass that spreads vigorously by runners; e.g. Bermuda, although there are other types, as well. While Bermuda is a warm-season grass and certainly has its drawbacks (needs lots of water, lots of sun, lots of fertilizer), it's my grass of choice if we're in a climate that can grow it. It's very wear-resistant, taking all the pounding from my canines, it enjoys the nitrogen sprinkles, and it mends itself very, very well.
    Sandy
    15,600 gallon, screened 15x30 IG plaster sport pool with 6x8 tanning area, Aquarite SWCG, Hayward cartridge filter, Polaris 280 cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by dawndenise View Post
    Maybe his urine has a different pH or something, or maybe he's just weird.

can Ben's test kits test for that

I say be thankful for those dead spots! What good would a perfect lush lawn be if you didn't have your dogs around??

Why BBB? Because money can't buy happiness, but saving it sure can!

+ Reply to Thread