+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2" returns with 1.5" caps! To fix or not to fix!

Default 2" returns with 1.5" caps! To fix or not to fix!

My 20x40 vinyl IG has 2" piping all around (found poolforum before my build, thank goodness). My PB was reluctant to use 2", but I convinced him. I have 3 suction lines (main drain and 2 skimmers) and 2 returns. The suction lines are 2" with 2" fittings (at least the skimmers are - don't really care too much about the main drain) all separate lines to the pump.

The 2 returns are 2" separate lines after the SWG, BUT, they have 1.5" fittings at the pool! I just checked yesterday. The fittings are clearly glued inside the 2" pipe and take regular 1.5" caps. Never really occured to me to even think about it until I replaced my 2HP SuperPump with an Ikeric variable speed pump and got to thinking/calculating flow rates, etc.

I have tried pretty hard to minimize restrictions in my piping, especially since I am using solar. Anyone think that these smaller fittings are going to be a problem in the long run and are worth fixing (probably have to lower the water, rout out the old fittings, possibly enlarge the opening in the pool wall, yikes)?

Another thought I had was to convert my main drain to a "main return" (or possibly 3-way it so I can have it whichever way I want). This actually might be useful with the solar in the early & late season when pumping in the warm water at the bottom of the pool is *supposed* to be more efficient. And it actually wouldn't be difficult due to the way my piping runs. However, not sure if it is worth it since I imagine that there would be very little flow to the main drain "return" since it is about 7 feet deeper than the other returns.

This is sort of a water-cooler issue at this point, but I would love to hear opinions!

Default Re: 2" returns with 1.5" caps! To fix or not to fix!

The returns are necked down to way less than 1.5" at the eyeballs, so I wouldn't worry.

No eyeballs being used right now, only the fittings (there is a post way back somewhere that talks about removing the eyeballs to improve flow). My PB never put eyeballs in, maybe that is why!

Quote Originally Posted by tphaggerty View Post
    No eyeballs being used right now, only the fittings (there is a post way back somewhere that talks about removing the eyeballs to improve flow). My PB never put eyeballs in, maybe that is why!
    Leaving the eyeballs out would certainly improve flow, but I think it would decrease circulation in the pool since they increase water velocity. It also eliminates your ability to direct the water to get flow to skimmers.

I agree on velocity, although when my pump is running on high, the velocity is plenty high! Directions to skimmers is not a problem, PB was very good on that. Skimmers are on sides of pool, returns are on ends offset from each other. The natural flow of water is right to the skimmers and also creates a pretty nice, slow whirlpool effect when on high pump.

My only real concern is with solar, where I am trying to pump a lot of water through. I have 14 panels in parallel, so I can do very close to the theoritical maximum of 2" pipe (somewhere around 80gal/minute). Every little bit helps.

+ Reply to Thread