+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suction Side Air and leak

Default Suction Side Air and leak

Been a long time since I was here. My pool has been pretty trouble free since I first got educated on chemicals and what not here.

Big trouble. Last fall I had lots of air in the suction side from the main drain. 16x32 IG liner, 8ft hopper. Water levels dropped, more quickly when pump was running, but dropped all the time. I searched for 2 weeks for a leak, found none, concluded it's in the suction line. Closed the pool and added water all winter, out of frustration.

Here's the question. My liner is only 2 years old. Can I pull it to excavate? And if so what precautions should I take. Tunneling under the side is a possibility, I have a MiniExcavator, but I'd rather not dig a basement trying to find it.

Or if you have other suggestions, I'm open.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Suction Side Air and leak

Welcome back! Before draining the pool and digging up the floor I'd have all the lines pressure tested to make sure you 100% know that that's where the leak is! What we usually do is if the MD fails the pressure test, just leave the plug in it and abandon the line If the pool has a reserve line, you could rig up alternate suction a lot more easily.

A 2 yr old liner that hasn't been chemicaly abused (HIGH cl or low pH) should pop out and in fairly easily, getting the srew holes to match up perfectly might take some work, but should be do-able - I'd also get new gaskets for the MD, light and any skimmers that might have to come out to peel the liner back enough.

Do the pressure test and then decide if it's worth the water, energy, and possibly a new liner to repair the line (if it broke once, what's going to stop it from breaking again?)

If you decide to do it, get in touch with me and I'll give you all the help tip's etc I can - we have to peel back liners to fix floors that have been washed out a few times each year.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks I know this outside the usual diy scope.

Digging the trench and installing the plumbing doesn't scare me at all, but pulling the liner does. I've read SO many times that you should never let a vinyl pool get dry, I was afraid I'd ruin it. I'll rig up a PT kit and check for sure. I had no intention of patching, if I dig, it will get new lines everywhere. It's about a 30 yr old pool. My neighbor had termites, and I read somewhere that in a drought, termites will bore through PVC for water. We just broke a 2 yr drought. (we really broke it too )

It's still covered, I'm waiting for the rain to stop, and my assistant/manual backhoe to get home from college. A little dirt never hurt anybody.

One more question before I dig. I came across a page somewhere on the internets where it was advised if you have a robot, you can just abandon the main drain period. The robot run religiously will circulate enough from the bottom.

Good idea, bad idea?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Suction Side Air and leak

The robot will provide some extra circulation for your deep end. Is it a good substitute for the MD, but a designated line to pull that lower water is better. (JMO) There are other options, I mentioned 1 of them in my earlier post (about the 'reserve line). It helps to have the water in the deep end moving around - the robot will 'at least' stir things up down there.

Let us know a little more about the 'suction/ return' system on your pool - another idea might just come
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I have just a main drain in deep end, skimmer also located on side in deep end. Two return lines, one 3/4 way down on long side, the other located just before the curve on the end straightens out, opposite of the 1st return line.

+ Reply to Thread