I am in my 7th season of pool ownership. The first 5.5 I was a slave to the pool store. Last summer, I finally came around and saw the light. I now finally understand the relationship between CYA and Cl.

My prior routine was to begin the season with A LOT (40 to 60 pounds) of "Optimizer" (Disodium Biborate Pentahydrate) at the beginning of the season. Regular Borax is Sodium Tetraborate decahydrate. The rationale for this was never really clear to me but the container says that it "works to suppress algea and increases sanitizer efficency" and "enhances water clarity." I must say that water was really crisp and sparkled.

Then, add a little CYA. Use 3 to 4 tri-clor in the skimmers per week. One or two bags of LiHClO3 ($$) and the liquid algacide that they were selling that year. These have always been Bioguard products.

I have never had any real water chemisty problems until last spring when I was told that there was something that was consuming my Cl because my Cl levels were always low. They did a "chlorine demand" test and had me add 40 bags of LiHClO3. Needless to say, that didn't end well. I didn't trust my insticts on that one, but prior they had served me well.

Any way, I have no issues with most of the priciples being discussed here, except for three. These are probably my hang-ups, but please bear with me and feel free to offer your opinions.

1. Should I continue to use a large start-up dose of borax? I have read the discussion on the china shop and tend to believe the benefits of borax.

2. Should I continue to use some algacide? I have read everthing about the evils of some of these products, but, in my experience I have not had any real problems prior. I have never had an algea bloom despite occasionally having a FC level of zero during the season.

3. Should I go cold turkey on the tri-chlor or is it okay to continue? I work way too much. As such, my water often goes untested for a week to ten days. I have seem to have done well with the tri-chlor. Now, I know the relationship between CYA and Cl, and will be more aware and will follow.

Thanks in advance for your help.