+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Poly 60, borax and algea

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: Poly 60, borax and algea

Though lame, this link uses the term "sparkle" in reference to Borax four times. I don't know the mechanism, but clearly there is something about the way that boric acid reacts with (i.e. reflects) light.

Richard
    Last edited by chem geek; 05-09-2007 at 01:33 PM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    Though lame, this link uses the term "sparkle" in reference to Borax four times. I don't know the mechanism, but clearly there is something about the way that boric acid reacts with (i.e. reflects) light.

Richard
    Could it act as some sort of either flocculating or chelating agent to get very, very tiny particles to either precipitate out or dissolve in, allowing the water to reflect better? That is, to reduce opacity?

EIther that, or, as Richard implies, changes the index of refraction of the water (which, I suspect, any and all dissolved agents do).
    Carl

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

I'm no expert -- people have to remember that I'm not a chemist. With that in mind and with what I do know about physics and chemistry, here's what I think. In standard pool water (pH 7.5, TA 100, CYA 30, CH 300) with 50 ppm Borates, the relative concentrations of the substances that are mostly in the water are as follows (on initial fill with no "extra" salt added):

Chloride ......... 8.1
    Boric Acid ...... 4.5
    Sodium .......... 4.1
    Calcium ion .... 2.9
    Bicarbonate .... 1.6
    Cyanuric acid .. 0.2

So indeed the Boric Acid is a large component (the fact that it sounds smaller due to "50 ppm" is artificial due to the way this is measured as Boron, not Boric Acid).

I don't know if the index of refraction of water is changed much -- what I meant was more of a literal interaction with light with the molecule itself that then re-emitted it in multiple directions (this is known as "scattering"), but that could just be plain wrong.

As for being a flocculant or clarifier, I don't think so because those are usually molecules with strong polar positive charges (PolyQuat uses an iminio group which is nitrogen with an extra positive charge) since those attract the negatively charged cell surfaces of most algae and bacteria to help them clump together (as well as attracting and clumping other polar molecules in the water). Boric Acid doesn't look like it has that sort of capability, but again I could just be plain wrong about that. It also doesn't look like a chelating agent either since it doesn't have a cyclic structure that could hold metals.

Why not just enjoy the sparkle? This is one area where even I really don't care that much as to why it looks nice since that knowledge won't be particularly useful. Now you know why I didn't become a physical chemist or researcher -- I didn't have enough patience and wanted more applied science.

Richard
    Last edited by chem geek; 05-09-2007 at 02:54 PM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Why not just enjoy the sparkle?
    Why not, indeed!

I've noticed that using DE in my sand filter and running the Blue Dolphin regularly has made my water really sparkle, too. But that's CLEARLY removing particulate matter...
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I commented when I posted "the great tetraborate experiment" that the water did seem to be so clear that it sparkled!
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showpos...82&postcount=8

don't know why but others have also commented on my water and referred to the 'sparkle".

I suspect it might be the algaestatic properties keeping the water clear since it significantly reduced my chlorine demand.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

giroup01 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst giroup01 0

I've noticed the same "sparkle". We really need to quantify this, I wish I had a turbidity meter, we'd determine if indeed the turbidity goes down (hence it also serves as a floc agent) or if the "sparkle" effect is from elsewhere.
    Reseller of Taylor water-testing products for Canada

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by giroup01 View Post
    I've noticed the same "sparkle". We really need to quantify this, I wish I had a turbidity meter, we'd determine if indeed the turbidity goes down (hence it also serves as a floc agent) or if the "sparkle" effect is from elsewhere.
    Or perhaps the turbidity goes down becase the borates are inhibiting nascent algae faster than chlorine can kill it, thus keeping the water clearer?
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread