+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Whole Pool Stain, Rough Plaster at Season Open

Default Re: Whole Pool Stain, Rough Plaster at Season Open

Quote Originally Posted by mbar View Post
    Is the product by "Jack's Magic"? They are very good and know a lot about stains I am glad to hear that this product works. "Jack's Magic" products are very good - although somewhat expensive. Keep us informed
    Yes it is.

Since you were all so quick to respond to my questions, I figured I should give an update on what helped me. Dropping the pH level really helped soften up a lot of the scale. When I went into the spa a couple days after keeping the pH down, some of the scale came right off using my bare hand. There were some trouble spots. For those, I purchased a stainless steel pot scrubber from the market and went to work. The seating areas in the pool, which I was most concerned about, is now as smooth as new. There are still some rough spots on the floor which I'll get to another time but I'm not too concerned. Provides some traction so not completely a bad thing.

One drawback of the stainless steel scrubber was that small pieces started to break off after heavy use. Being that I have dark plaster, it was hard to see the pieces and I'm sure some went into my filter. Now to clean out my filter, which is overdue anyway.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Next time, instead of a stainless steel scrubber get a pumice stone at the pool supply. They work really well at removing scale.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Would the "Jack's Magic" product be safe on dark plaster?

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

I am not sure, I would check with Jack's Magic - they have a great customer support staff.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Lenny is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Lenny 0

Anyone have an idea how low you should drop the PH before trying to physically remove scale?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Anyone have an idea how low you should drop the PH before trying to physically remove scale?
    I'd love to know the same thing? I've heard 6.8 - 7.0 pH for scale brushing.

Bob

ps. Lenny, we're neighbours. I'm in Newark, DE

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

I have this same odd staining. It doesn't react to any of Magic Jacks metal testing, chorine does nothing to it, nor does vitamin C. It looks like light dirt staining or something. I even tried my stainless brush---NOTHING, stain doesn't move.

Which Magic Jack's product are you guys using?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    I have this same odd staining. It doesn't react to any of Magic Jacks metal testing, chorine does nothing to it, nor does vitamin C. It looks like light dirt staining or something. I even tried my stainless brush---NOTHING, stain doesn't move.

Which Magic Jack's product are you guys using?
    Scale will not respond to sequestration or to vitamin c. It responds to acid washing and sandblasting.
    The Jack's magic stain and scale stuff is, essentially, a no drain acid wash and requires that the heater be isolated and the pool closed for several weeks while it works. since it drops the pH quite low. if it is in isolates areas you can try a pumice stone. If on the waterline or tile you can drop the water a bit and try muriatic acid.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread