+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rock crystals on bottom of pool??

Default Rock crystals on bottom of pool??

We had a hole at around 18" on opening, so we started out two weeks ago with almost a total refill (24' AG Vinyl). I used borax and baking soda to get my numbers straight. I was lazy, didn't want to fool with bleach jugs, so I used aquachem's shock to get my levels up and to clear up the winter algae. The pool LOOKS wonderful now. Today, while swimming, I noticed some scattered rock-like crystals on the bottom of the pool, stuck to the liner. White, sorta porus. They reminded me of broken teeth. Is this scaling? It IS in the area where I typically broadcast my chemicals. We removed much of it by scraping it with our finger/toe nails. A couple places made me a little nervous, so I left it until I hear from you pros.

What is it? What do I do?

Second question: I haven't measured my cya, I KNOW it is near zero because of the refill. I'm reading: FC 7, CC 0, PH 7.0, ALK 80, 83 deg F (I added borax and baking soda after this reading). I am using the 3" tablets from Lowes right now in a floater(aquachem). We had pretty heavy use the past two days and it seems to be holding the FC pretty well (dropped from 8 to 7). Do I REALLY need to add cya or could I get by using the tablets this season and count on them to add cya? I used the bleach last year and the year before with almost no problem except the dang bottles. We have no recycling center around and I feel soooo wasteful throwing those things away, not to mention they are just bulky.

Thanks in advance!
    Tracy

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: Rock crystals on bottom of pool??

They're (bottles) not bulky once you step on them.
    I'd be adding some CYA, your pucks will add small amounts, but it will likely be near the end of the season before you get your stabilizer up to a useful amount. Bring it up to 40 and use your pucks if you'd like to get rid of them.
    As for your white scaling - not sure, but someone will have an answer shortly....

Default Re: Rock crystals on bottom of pool??

The crystals are probably undissolved shock. Not something you want touching your liner.

+ Reply to Thread