+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HTH Cal-Hypo Duration Tabs

Default HTH Cal-Hypo Duration Tabs

Anyone have any experience with these in the skimmer? I am using 6% bleach 100% of the time but want to supplement when I am out of town 3-4 days.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: HTH Cal-Hypo Duration Tabs

If they are the type wrapped in plastic like a capsule, and you throw the capsule away when it's empty, supposedly they work well.

If they are the type that looks like a caplet, save your money--they turn to mush in 6-8 hours and clog your skimmer--that's personal experience talking. They are pure garbage and do NOT work as advertised. I tried it. I know.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    If they are the type wrapped in plastic like a capsule, and you throw the capsule away when it's empty, supposedly they work well.

If they are the type that looks like a caplet, save your money--they turn to mush in 6-8 hours and clog your skimmer--that's personal experience talking. They are pure garbage and do NOT work as advertised. I tried it. I know.
    I just read learned about it yesterday so I am not sure which kind but I will certainly stay away from the "caplet" variety. I need a non-stabilized puck (I like to keep my CYA level under 20) and my CH is not a problem so the calcium based product seems like a good idea for vacation time.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

A sister company/brand of HTH now makes the plastic covered capsules, but I'm darned if I can remember the name. (sorry, it just came back to me that that is where you get them).

Stay away from the HTH Durations.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    A sister company/brand of HTH now makes the plastic covered capsules, but I'm darned if I can remember the name. (sorry, it just came back to me that that is where you get them).

Stay away from the HTH Durations.
    Thanks Carl.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

The other company that Arch Chemical has is Poolife. Both HTH and Poolife have cal hypo tablets. HTH are the Duration ones and Poolife are the Active Cleaning Caplets, The chlorinating caplets, and the briquette shaped Active Cleaning Tablets. Have never used any of them so I can't tell you which is which. The HTH product is designed for Skimmers. The Poolife caplets are for skimmers or floaters (CLEAN, NEW ONES THAT HAVE NEVER HAD TRICHLOR TABS IN THEM!), and I don't know about the Poolife tablets.
    Hope this is helpful.

Edit: The Poolife Active cheaning caplets are supposed to last for 2-5 days and if my memory serves me correctly so are the Duration Tablets. The Duration Tablets we got in this year say "New and Improved" on them so maybe they got them working right again.
    Last edited by waterbear; 05-05-2007 at 08:07 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I have used the HTH Duration Cleaning Capsules (wraped in plastic) HTH calls them slow dissolving / Lasts up to 3 days, Max Avail Chlorine is 65%. I used them last year when the CYA got too high. I noticed that they lasted about 4 to 5 days in the skimmer

Thanks for the feedback guys.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Question Re: HTH Cal-Hypo Duration Tabs

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    The other company that Arch Chemical has is Poolife. Both HTH and Poolife have cal hypo tablets. HTH are the Duration ones and Poolife are the Active Cleaning Caplets, The chlorinating caplets, and the briquette shaped Active Cleaning Tablets. Have never used any of them so I can't tell you which is which. The HTH product is designed for Skimmers. The Poolife caplets are for skimmers or floaters (CLEAN, NEW ONES THAT HAVE NEVER HAD TRICHLOR TABS IN THEM!), and I don't know about the Poolife tablets.
    Hope this is helpful.

Edit: The Poolife Active cheaning caplets are supposed to last for 2-5 days and if my memory serves me correctly so are the Duration Tablets. The Duration Tablets we got in this year say "New and Improved" on them so maybe they got them working right again.
    Then again, maybe they added copper like was done to the pucks a few years ago , I haven't seen them so I don't know
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread