+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Success!

Default Success!

I came to this forum mid summer last year and have been following all of your advice to the letter. I just opened the pool Sunday and we'll be in it tomorrow. I've vacuumed and swept several times, but I've added only bleach (around 11 gallons). Here's my numbers:
    FC 11
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    Alk 170
    Cal 220
    Cya 80

The cya went down about 20 or 30ppm over the winter, so I'm planning on keeping the FC at around 8. (Last year with a cya of 110, I aimed for 10 FC and had good results.) Our water right now is crystal clear. In fact, this morning, I dropped a quarter into the deep end and could tell that it landed heads up!

Because I love to torture myself, I dug up my receipt for all the chemicals I "had to have" for spring opening last year. With Smart Sticks, Sanitizer, algaecide, and Lo n Slo, the grand total was $431.72. This year I've spent about $25 (Aldi sells Tundra 6% bleach for .99 a jug). Chew on that, pool store!

I can't thank you enough! I know it's been a tough stretch for all the mods considering Ben's situation, but I thought I'd share a success/convert story and let you know you've made a difference! Please do what you can to keep this forum going.

By the way, I'm serious about the quarter in the deep end. I'm not much of a photographer so you probably can't make out that it's heads, but this is in 8 feet of water after 5 days of filtering and 11 gallons of bleach:

One other pool question...when I find the neighbor kid who's been throwing rocks in my pool, how many cinder blocks does it take to sink him to the bottom of the deep end? (The pool is 23,000 IG with a vinyl liner.)

Thanks,
    Bill

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Success!

Bill, congrats on your success! Your water looks great. Also, I'm gonna speak for all the mods when I say that your kind words are much appreciated. Enjoy that pool and you are very welcome! We are always glad to help.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Success!

Congrats, Bill!

re: cinderblocks and sinking kids - it all depends on how tightly you tie thier arms and legs It's always nice to hear the 'success stories' here!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I'd like to second Poolboy's thanks.
    This has been the easiest startup ever. Not even really a startup; just a tuneup. I run mine 24/7/365, so I think that makes it even more simple.
    My eyes still kinda glaze over when I try to comprehend the chemistry lessons here but, as long as my water is clear, what the heck .
    Now if I can just arrest my dry-rotting liner, I'll be floating in my lounge with a lemonade any day now.

I'd like to "third" that also. We just opened our pool this morning and it is crystal (can you hear me now?) clear!!! We have some dirt in it, but nothing big. We're filling up the pool now (it dropped below the skimmer over the winter due to the pressure from the winter water on top of the pool cover) and I will test it later today. I have a feeling that my CYA will be low due to the fact that I have to add about 10 inches of water, but it looks fantastic!!

I closed my pool last fall following everyone's advice here and I didn't spend a dime on a pool closing kit!!! My neighbor is having a heck of a time with his pool. He has algae like you've never seen. He won't listen to my suggestions and will be purchasing some pool store chemicals to get rid of algae. Oh well -- you can lead the camel to the water, but you can't make him drink it, right?

Thanks to all!!!
    24' Above Ground Pool x 54" depth -- 14,000 Gallons (approximately) -- 1 1/2 HP Hayward DE Filter (model EC 45) -- Hayward H150 Gas Heater

drumr is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst drumr 0

I have to add my thanks to the mods and members here. This is my 6th season of BBB and have enjoyed a wonderful, easy to maintain pool each season. My winter cover ripped this past winter so I had a little mess to deal with, but with 2 days of filtering and 8 jugs of bleach I am back to sparkling.
    Water is 78 degrees and I can't keep my kids out of the pool!!

JD

+ Reply to Thread