+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I want suction from skimmers, main drain, AND spa drain - bad idea?

joelq is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst joelq 0

Default I want suction from skimmers, main drain, AND spa drain - bad idea?

My setup:

- 11k gallon IG pool
    - 1k gallon raised spa with spillover
    - Aqualogic PS-4 with two valve actuators (one controlling suction, the other controlling returns)

My pool is currently setup with suction coming from the skimmers (2) and the main drain only, so when the pump is running in pool mode, there is no suction from the spa drain. I would like to add some suction from the spa drain to help minimize the dirt that collects on the bottom of the spa (floating debris make their way down the spillover and eventually the skimmers, but sinking debris stays down there.)

I was experimenting one day and adjusted the suction actuator so it added suction from the spa drain in addition to the skimmers and main drain. It worked well, but once the pump turned off, water siphoned out of the spa into the pool because the spa is raised.

I figured my options were:

1. Program the Aqualogic to adjust the suction valve to allow spa suction before turning the pump on, then right after the pump is turned off, readjust the suction valve to close the spa suction (to prevent siphoning).

2. Just forget about it and brush the spa floor regularly and/or run the spa occasionally to clean it. Would doing 1. really help keep the debris on the bottom of the spa minimized?

Is 1. above supported by the Aqualogic? Can it support what is essentially a macro to adjust the valve, turn on the pump, then turn the pump off, then readjust the valve?

Thanks!

Default Re: I want suction from skimmers, main drain, AND spa drain - bad idea?

I don't bother getting suction in the spill over spa for the reason you stated. When debris accumulates in the bottom of the spa I use my poolbuster to clean it up.
    Last edited by SUNNYDAYS; 05-03-2007 at 07:48 PM.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: I want suction from skimmers, main drain, AND spa drain - bad idea?

Joe, I think Sunndays' answer is probably the best for you, get the poolbuster, or similar.
    The problem is that the actuators are 'stupid' they don't know where they are w/ relation to the ports they control. You could go inside and reposition the 'stopper' to allow some flow from the spa, but as you noticed, the spa water will equalize to the pool's level when the system is off. You could manually make the actuator open the spa a bit when you're running the pool via the toggle switch on the actuator (flip it to the opposite side for a few seconds then put the toggle switch in the middle "OFF" position when the spa port is slightly open) but you'd have to remember to walk back over and put the switch back into it's original position before turning off the system.
    A lot of people are 'not happy' when they come to realise that their cool, automatic new valves can only 'understand' 2 stopping positions

FWIW : when I have to clean one of the spillover spas I either turn on the 'full spa' mode and brush the debris to the suctions or use the pool's manual vac without the vac head on and direct the suction end of the hose to the debris.
    If you need any more help with this, I'll tell you what I know
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread