+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White foam on cloudy water

crsuarez is offline ** No working email address ** crsuarez 0

Default White foam on cloudy water

I have been shocking my IG concrete pool with around 15 ppm CL since opening, a week and a half ago. It was green like a pond. Now I have a nice blueish couldy water but it is showing some white foam on top.

CYA: 40
    FC: 13
    CC: 1
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 140
    CH: 150

The Ph was above 8.2 to start. Using Muriatic acid I was able to bring it down to 7.5.

I'm only using bleach, Clorox (6%) and PurePower (regular scent), a brand sold in Giant Food Stores (Washington DC area) which I believe it is also at 6%.

What is causing the foam and how can I get rid of it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

nater is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher nater 0

Default Re: White foam on cloudy water

The cloudyness and CC of 1 say you're definately still fighting a load of some kind, so keep up the shock level bleach usage.

I'm wary of the "regular scent" bleach. You should only use regular bleach. No scents, dyes, outdoor formula, etc. Just plain 'ole bleach.

If you are close to a pool store that sells "liquid Chlorine" in a big jug, you may be better off that route. Its usually the 12% stuff, so compare price by volume to see if its a good deal.

Have you put any algecide or clarifier in? I know the non Poly 60 algecide will cause foam. Clarifier will cause cloudy water if over used. (I know from experrience on both counts)
    Nater
    16x32 Vinyl IG, 20,000 gal, Autopilot DIG-220 w/60 series cell, Dolphin Diagnostic Pool Boy

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

As the algae and organics break down it is normal to have some foaming occur. Sicne the water is still cloudly and you still have CC I would say you just have not finsihed dealing with the stuff in your pool. The foam should go away once the water clears and the CC goes to 0. Just keep the chlorine levels up and give it a bit of time. "regular scent" bleach ususally means that the bleach has no scent additives and is just plain chlorine bleach so that should not be the problem.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thank you both for your prompt replies. I will keep chlorinating the pool until I see CC = 0. Any idea how long will it take for the water to clear once CC reaches 0? Once CC reaches 0, do I need to keep chlorine at the shock level? Thanks!!!!

By the way, I have not used any algecide or clarifier...

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I would keep it there until the water clears or at least until your FC is holding steady. It might take up to a week longer for your filter to clear the cloudiness out of the pool if it was the start of an algae blooom.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

How do I know the FC is holding steady? For example, yesterday at 9pm I had FC 18.5 and CC of 1, at 1pm I had FC of 12 and CC of 1. How much FC am I suppose to loose because of the sun? Is the FC lost because of direct sun or just because of the daylight?
    Thanks for your help...

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You are still losing a lot of FC. Plus, the fact that you have a CC of 1 means that you are still fighting something. You'll be able to tell when your FC is holding steady when you can shock it at night and still have pretty much the same FC level in the morning and when your CC is 0.

I will then keep shocking until CC = 0. Thanks!!!!

+ Reply to Thread