+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool suggestions

Default Pool suggestions

we are looking at getting a pool from an online store and was wondering if anybody as an opinion on this package. http://www.absolutetan.com/sandstone.htm
    We we thinking of the preminum package. Is this a good pool?

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Default Re: Pool suggestions

JMHO, but I think they are a bit overpriced for what you are getting (with all of the packages they list on that particular pool) - the pumps appear to be overkill for the filters (unless its a 2 speed and you can run it on low?) Bigger FILTER is better than bigger pump. The liner is just OK, and it doesn't mention warranty on there for that one? The other two brands they have appear to be better quality and do list warranties, but that one does not. Are you going for a round pool or oval? What size?

There are a lot of places to purchase pools and accessories online. I always feel more comfy going with a place listed with the Better Business Bureau Online and/or the regular BBB - both is better. See if they have a regular brick and mortor store attached to their business and if so, how long have they been in business? That Absolute Tan site doesn't really give too much info that would make me feel comfy in case there were problems - customer service is a big deal, starting with the day you order and going on from there (missing or damaged shipment, replacement parts, etc.)

I work backwards on these by going to the BBB Online, searching for Pool Suppliers with good customer service/complaint ratings and then searching their sites for a good deal. I found mine that way. Propools.com - but there OOOODDDLLLES of others out there that fit the criteria -

Our buttressfree AG oval pool was a very good deal, has a 40yr warranty and came with many extras - the customer service there is excellent and we LOVE our new pool. I would look for stuctural strength, stainless steel or aluminum bottom rails, rust resistant coatings, wider/stronger top rail/seat, good warranty, BIG filter (especially if sand), dual speed pump if possible (mine is not dual speed but we push our water around some distance before going into solar panels and then back to the pool so its not too bad - filter is 22" sand) Or better yet, buy the pool and the equipement separately so you can pick just the right match. A lot of packaged deals have mis-matched components - size wize and use wize.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

You will get more responses from better knowledgable people on AG pools but here are my initial comments. I didn't look at the site for details but Mom is right about the pump and filter sizing. Very critical decision. Always better to go bigger filter, smaller pump. You save $$ on electricity and don't ram water through an undersized filter. Here is a thread that may be useful in understanding liner thicknesses. What I learned about the term 'gauge' in the pool world threw me.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ighlight=ajs-1

Do a lot of research on poolforum before you buy and you will stand a much better chance of being happier in the end. Look through the other forums 'pool construction and repair' and 'pool equipment and ops' as there is a lot of info on equipment that is applicable to any pool type. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Only see you have 4 posts so if we didn't say so before...Welcome to the forum.
    Al

Hi, I agree you should shop around, but I don’t think this is a bad deal. It’s a basic lower end pool but I don’t have a problem with that. The higher end pools are way over designed, user unfriendly and overpriced, in my opinion.

The most important things to consider are what do you get with the pool. The liner is 20 mil, equivalent to a 25 gauge so that is fine, a good five to ten year liner. The pump is overkill unless it is two speed. I would choose the Hayward filter. The skimmer and cleaning kit look very adequate. At this point I think you have a good deal.

I like the premium package. It comes with a good cleaner. The light and covers may not be the best quality but I still think the price of the upgrade is well worth it.

I don’t like anything in the luxury package. That would seem like a waste of money to me.

Let us know what you wind up getting. One thing about this place, we all love to learn.

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

+ Reply to Thread