+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help: any opinions on best SWCG: Poolpilot, PentairWatermaid, Aquarite?

Post Help: any opinions on best SWCG: Poolpilot, PentairWatermaid, Aquarite?

We're converting to a SWCG and looking for any experience with one manuafacturer over the other? Appreciate any success or sob stories on make & models for a 20x40 in-ground vinyl liner. Thanks in advance
    LUV MY POOL

Default Re: Help: any opinions on best SWCG: Poolpilot, PentairWatermaid, Aquarite?

I have an Aquarite and like it. But I have no experience with the others. I too have a 20x40 vinyl inground and my Aquarite does a fine job of keeping the CL up. I do keep my CYA up in the 60 to 80 range as recommended, keep my FC between 3 to 5. Depending on how cold/warm the water is, it runs at 25% to about 50% setting.

I do add bleach on occasion, primarily after a big rain or large group swim. Even when I turn the SWG up full blast, it seems that it can, on these rare occasions, get behind the curve and have trouble keeping enough active CL in the water to handle the large loads. It only happened 2 or 3 times last year (heavy load/rain, next day pool is cloudy, FC is low) and I use 2 or 3 gallons of bleach to clear it up.

Overall, I'm really happy with it. The one occasion we had to call the support line, they were fabulous and talked my wife through resetting the system and getting it working again.

nater is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher nater 0

Default Re: Help: any opinions on best SWCG: Poolpilot, PentairWatermaid, Aquarite?

Lots of info to your questions through this link:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=6484

I'm partial to my Autopilot, especially from the aspect of having their resident expert as a member of this forum (Poolsean). You should be happy with your purchase as long as you stick to one of the major players (Autopilot, Aquarite, Goldline, etc) and you FULLY understand ALL the pros/cons of SWC systems. Spend a lot of time reading all the posts in the SWC forum.

A SWC will not elimnate the need for pool care, but it sure comes close. (as long as you follow CarlD's advice and stay ahead of your water)
    Nater
    16x32 Vinyl IG, 20,000 gal, Autopilot DIG-220 w/60 series cell, Dolphin Diagnostic Pool Boy

Note that Aquarite, Goldline and Hayward are all the same product (originally Goldline, bought by Hayward). They also OEM to about 4 or 5 other "brands".

Quote Originally Posted by tphaggerty View Post
    I have an Aquarite and like it. But I have no experience with the others. I too have a 20x40 vinyl inground and my Aquarite does a fine job of keeping the CL up. I do keep my CYA up in the 60 to 80 range as recommended, keep my FC between 3 to 5. Depending on how cold/warm the water is, it runs at 25% to about 50% setting.

I do add bleach on occasion, primarily after a big rain or large group swim. Even when I turn the SWG up full blast, it seems that it can, on these rare occasions, get behind the curve and have trouble keeping enough active CL in the water to handle the large loads. It only happened 2 or 3 times last year (heavy load/rain, next day pool is cloudy, FC is low) and I use 2 or 3 gallons of bleach to clear it up.

Overall, I'm really happy with it. The one occasion we had to call the support line, they were fabulous and talked my wife through resetting the system and getting it working again.
    What are your pump run times with the SWG set at 25-50%? I have the same size pool and will be installed an Aquarite this month. In prior seasons, I have run my pump for 2 blocks of time, each 4 hours long. I will liklely start up on that same schedule with the Aquarite, but have a feeling that my run times will increase.

Thanks,
    SteveK

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I have a Goldline Aqualogic (SWG and pool automation in one unit) and and very pleased with it. Where I work we sell Pool Pilot, Zodiac, and Resiliance SWGs (but can get other units if customers want them) They all work well. IMHO, the PoolPilot Digital is the best unit on the market because of the bells and whistles it has. The newer model Goldline units have included many of the same bells and whistles. Both compaines have excellent customer support. I am not as impressed with the Zodiac units for the price and the Resiliance is an entry level unit that is not very expensive. It does work well but lacks some features of the more expensive ones. Bottom line is this. If you get a unit from a company that has been making SWGs for a while and the company has a good customer support track record you should be fine! Goldline, AutoPilot systems, and WaterMaid have been manufacturing SWGs for a while now and are, IMHO, the big 3 names.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I run from about 8am to around 5pm (solar heating), then again for about 4 hours at night. I just installed a multi-speed pump (Ikeric), so I will likely be extending my night run but at a much lower speed/gpm.

Due to the way the SWG works, I think (my own opinion) that it is better to run longer but lower so that the pool is more constantly chlorinated. SWGs work low and slow (low level of chlorine added, so more time is needed). You can vary the % of output, but what you are really doing is varying the amount of time during the ON cycle that CL is being generated, not the amount of CL generated (at least with the Aquarite). So, by running longer but at a lower %, the CL generation gets spread out, so (maybe) there is less of a roller coaster effect on FC in the pool. That is one of the reasons for using a 2 speed pump, it reduces the cost of running the pump so I can run it longer. (Hope this makes sense).

aussie is offline ** No working email address ** aussie 0

G'day WATERBEAR,

We at WATERMAID read this forum daily,for all the news, gossip, and comments, we thank you for your honest opinion of placing us in the three chlorinator companies of your choice.
    We have never had an angry customer, who was never satisfied with our product or service, since our incept to the USA, again thank you for your opinion

regards,
    Richard Varley. WATERMAID-USA.,Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by tphaggerty View Post
    I run from about 8am to around 5pm (solar heating), then again for about 4 hours at night. I just installed a multi-speed pump (Ikeric), so I will likely be extending my night run but at a much lower speed/gpm.

Due to the way the SWG works, I think (my own opinion) that it is better to run longer but lower so that the pool is more constantly chlorinated. SWGs work low and slow (low level of chlorine added, so more time is needed). You can vary the % of output, but what you are really doing is varying the amount of time during the ON cycle that CL is being generated, not the amount of CL generated (at least with the Aquarite). So, by running longer but at a lower %, the CL generation gets spread out, so (maybe) there is less of a roller coaster effect on FC in the pool. That is one of the reasons for using a 2 speed pump, it reduces the cost of running the pump so I can run it longer. (Hope this makes sense).
    Yes, makes sense. Thanks!

tphaggarty, nater & waterbear,

thanks for inputs on SWCG companies and models. Good to know few companies make most models and to stay with them. What are advantages of more "bells & whistles?" Usually that phrase ignites fears IMHO of more things to go wrong.
    LUV MY POOL

+ Reply to Thread