+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward SP-711 Multiport Valve Leaking

Hybrid View

cdognight is offline ** No working email address ** cdognight 0

Default Hayward SP-711 Multiport Valve Leaking

Last year, I noticed a little bit of water seeping out of the top of the valve on my sand filter. This year, I assemble the filter and valve, start the pump, and the valve is leaking to the tune of about 2 gallons an hour.

The water is seeping out from under the handle while in the filter position. I haven't checked to see what it does in other positions. Is this a common problem that can be fixed with, say, an o-ring or something? I don't have the original paperwork on the valve, but have found several places that sell parts for it. I don't mind replacing the whole valve, but would rather not, if possible.

Any comments appreciated, thanks.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Hayward SP-711 Multiport Valve Leaking

I have the same valve and just looked at the info sheet. The shaft O-ring is replacable as are all parts. Kind of a dog to find it but here's the link to the Hayward site:

http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/replace_pdfs/242-246.pdf

These things are real easy to take apart. While it's apart inspect the spider gasket too and if that needs replacing there are varying thoughts posted on this forum about the best way to install one. Post back and we'll point you in the right direction. And..I see you only have 4 posts so Welcome to the forum. May it continue to survive.
    Hope this helps.
    Al
    Last edited by Poconos; 05-01-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Thank you, Poconos, for your time in responding to my problem.

I came across the same PDF last night, but was confused by the fact that there doesn't seem to be a cross-section specifically for the 711, and the parts list is a little confusing as well. There are parts at the bottom of the list specifically for the 711, but only for certain dates? I'm not sure when this valve was made.

I suppose the best thing to do right now is just to dive into the disassembly and see what things look like.

It might also help to mention that when I place the valve i the recirculate position, water begins flowing from the waste port. I wouldn't think it would do that.

I imagine I'll know this "spider gasket" when I see it. I came across links to several discussions about this gasket last night, and most of the debate seemed to be what adhesive to use/not use to mount it. It also seemed like it was mentioned when discussing things like water going to the wrong port, and not water bubbling out of the top of the valve. I probably will need both the o-ring and this spider gasket.
    Last edited by cdognight; 05-01-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Sounds like you know what to look for. That spider gasket is also called a wagon wheel gasket and it's failure symptom is indeed water going to unselected ports like you have observed.
    Al

Well, I removed the valve key cover and inspected the gaskets. In retrospect, the o-ring could only have caused leaking around the seam in the key cover, and not from under the handle itself, where I am experiencing it.

The spider gasket "appears" OK. It hasn't deteriorated, and doesn't appear especially deformed. I didn't want to remove it from its groove and inspect it because I have nothing to seal it back with handy.

This may all be a moot point as last night I submitted a service question on the Hayward website. A while ago I received a reply...

Parts for the 711 valve are not available. The valve
    has been replaced by SP0714T

Regards,

Richard Burns
    Technical Service
    Hayward Pool Products
    1 Hayward Industrial Drive
    Clemmons N.C. 27012 (908) 355-7995
    Soooo, looks like I'm getting a new valve after all.

Thanks, nice to know if I ever have a problem. Next time I'm at the pool store I'll check on the spider gasket and grab one as a spare just in case. Mine is 1997 vintage. Can't really help further as I never took mine fully apart to see what you're referencing.
    Good Luck,
    Al

+ Reply to Thread