+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clear Solar Cover

Default Clear Solar Cover

Hello

I need 2 new solar covers 16x24 (L shapped in ground) - however I see such a difference in price and confused on quality - color and thickness.

I'm in favor of the clear - but they are $110 each for 14 ml (I think)-- is it worth it - or should I just get the cheapest and hope for two years.

Also -- any suggestion on where to buy online is appreciated. (BTW -- I accidently posted this is the wrong section originally - hope this is not a problem on reposting.

nater is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher nater 0

Default Re: Clear Solar Cover

Howdy,
    Ultimately it comes down to how much you want to pay vs how well you take care of it. Although no one has hard data that I've seen, consensus is that the clear covers may allow for more solar energy to penetrate during the day, thus giving a little more heat. The big benefit to a cover is nightime insullation and evaporation reduction during the day, which should not be color dependant.

I bought a 14 mil clear cover for about the same price as you listed in April of 2005. It spent two winters covering the pool 24/7, and has been stored from late June-August in my shed. Otherwise its either covering the pool or piled up on the deep end concrete (I don't have a reel). When its piled up, I've never used the white plastic cover you're supposed to. I'll be lucky if it survives the rest of this season, as one end of it is pretty badly degraded (the end on top of the pile which sees the most sun when its rolled up).

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the performance and life span. I could get more life out of it by taking better care though. I'll buy a clear one again, but I may get a "cheaper" model.
    Nater
    16x32 Vinyl IG, 20,000 gal, Autopilot DIG-220 w/60 series cell, Dolphin Diagnostic Pool Boy

I'm forever sold on the extruded solar covers. I never have to cover it with plastic when it's rolled on the reel! In my opinion, they are WELL worth the money.

http://www.poolproducts.com/-i-SLB-HPI-162414REC.htm
    Why BBB? Because money can't buy happiness, but saving it sure can!

simsjim is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst simsjim 0

Using a reel - I am on the third year with mine. LOTS of on-and-off the pool (like evrery day during peak season), but the reel makes that an easy job - and extends the life of the cover IMHO.

Probably next year, I will need to get a new one, but three years isnt a bad run for what is essentally thick bubble wrap. MUCH cheaper than the investment in a heater and the monthly gas bill.

Just to give a bit of a sales-spin. I opened my pool last week here in SE PA and the water was 52 degrees. After cleaning, balancing etc, unrolled the solar cover. The water temp has gone up 12 degrees in just 4 days!

Based on what I am hearing here, I may go for the clear cover next time.

simsjim,
    What size is your pool, and which reel do you have? I'm about done with the "fold it in a pile by yourself" method of handling my cover....
    Nater
    16x32 Vinyl IG, 20,000 gal, Autopilot DIG-220 w/60 series cell, Dolphin Diagnostic Pool Boy

simsjim is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst simsjim 0

Thumbs up Re: Clear Solar Cover

Hi Nater

Yea, my aunt does the fold-it method, and her lawn has "blanket spots" all over it. And her BIGGEST complaint, year after year is that she doesn’t use her pool as often as she would like because the blanket is such a pain in the tush to get on and off. So she bakes and sits on her deck and looks at her covered pool! Yuk...

By Texas standards my pool is tiny - 16x24 - 12K gal IG vinyl. - With your 16' wide pool, you should be able to handle unrolling and rolling yourself. I sometimes have to "work" both sides of the reel to aid even rolling, but that's easier than dragging a water-logged, folded cover around the deck.

I went for the "commercial reel". It's the lower profile - "Pro 1000" all aluminum and steel reel. It actually costs more than the cover. (around $250 I think) I thought that price was steep - but, I LOVE the simplicity and portability the reel allows. Roll it up to swim = about 5 minutes - and a quick skim of the debris that falls off of the cover when you roll it up. Unroll at night to save chems, water, and heat = 3 minutes. PLUS free heat and chemical savings during the day when nobody is using the pool.

I did not get the optional casters, IMHO it's light enough to move out of the way if you need to do so. But I suppose that your specific pool configuration will determine if you need them.

One caution - If you have a diving board, take into account the size of the cover rolled up on the reel to see if you will have fitment issues under the dive (if you plan to store it on the deep end of the pool). They sell "low profile" reels to fit under dives, but they are plastic I think. So shorten the lifespan accordingly.

Many on-line merchants offer "Reel Deals" where you buy the solar cover and the reel together and save a few bucks. I got mine at InTheSwim.com.

Here is a link to the site and model I purchased:
    http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Covers...le-Solar-Reel/

Another caution - the mail order reel comes VERY unassembled, and is not for someone who is opposed to some intermediate-level DIY. Allow a few hours to put the reel together, there is quite a bit of measuring, aluminum cutting and fastening to be done. It helps (read - is required) to have an extra pair of hands. A battery operated drill with an aluminum drilling bit, and screwdriver attachments, and a SHARP hacksaw or jigsaw with aluminum cutting blades makes the job much easier.

Even with those hefty cautions - I can testify that I LOVE my reel/cover combo. It's hands-down one of the best accessories I've ever bought for my pool.

Go for it! Once assembled and in use, you may wonder why you didn’t get it sooner.
    Last edited by simsjim; 05-07-2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo correction

Good to hear, thanks for the input!
    Nater

+ Reply to Thread