+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Filter and Pool Water after Opening

Skillset Guest

Default Help with Filter and Pool Water after Opening

Hi All !!

Just opened the pool today and was disappointed in several things. It looked great at first - water was pretty clear until I started the filter. The pool is a FG inground installed last July, so everything is pretty new. I learned a lot here on this forum last year about water chemistry and pool operations. I didn't think I'd have problems. But, here are the 2 major issues I have:

(1) The pump does not seem to be operating correctly. Last season, I could either run the skimmer or the main drain or both with the water flowing through the clear plastic viewer quiet and smoothly and the pressure guage reading 22. Plenty of suction. Today, when I run either the main drain OR skimmer, the water is not flowing smoothly (it doesn't quite fill up the plastic reservoir) and the pressure is only 15. This makes the suction not as strong as it could be. If I run both, the water runs better through the plastic viewer, but still not as smoothly as last season, and the pressure is 20. The filter is backwashed. Any suggestions on what could be the issue? I suspect I may have a clog somewhere? Attached to the pump and filter is a chrlorinator (I'm not using it) and a heat pump. I just can't figure out why the pump is not running smoothly. I usually just run the skimmer but can't b/c of mediocre suction - I'm afraid it will lose prime.

(2) The water appeared pretty clear until I ran the filter. Then, I got a foamy white layer just on the pool surface. The return jets are pushing the white mass towards the skimmer, but it's so thick on top, the thick stuff is not moving through the skimmer - the top layer is just sitting there. The skimmer is working as the water below the surface is passing through the weir and into the skimmer. The layer looks and feels like soap detergent. I suspect it must be something in the water the pool company added when they closed it. I plan on running my filter 24/7. I shocked the water and plan to add bleach, as necessary. Any any suggestions? Will this clear itself?

Here's some pool info:

IG FG 33x16
    1.5HP Hayward Pump
    Hayword Chlrorinator (not being used / BBB)

CH=1.5 upon opening. Much higher now since I added shock
    PH=7.2
    AL=5
    CYA=55

Not sure I should adding anything just yet to address the low Alk.

Any advice for the pump and frothy stuff?

Thanks!!
    Marc

Default Re: Help with Filter and Pool Water after Opening

Sounds like you may have either an air leak or air caught in the filter, as well as some antifreeze or something that was used to winterize. Check your pump basket lid and O-ring and the drain plugs for the pump basket and filter. If the filter has an air vent, let it run until air stops coming out. You can loosen the gauge to do the same thing.

Skillset Guest

Thanks - I think you are right, must be some kind of air leak. Let me ask a couple of (dumb) questions. The chlorinator has 1 plug and the basket has 2 plugs. Both appear to be in pretty good with no air leaks. The clear basket lid seems pretty tight too.

Can you help me locate on where the O-ring may be and also how do I tell if the filter has an air vent? The filter has a plug at the bottom, a guage, and a clear viewing glass, all of which are tight.

I think I'll call the company back that opened the pool. I was going to do it myself, but I wanted to watch someone do it the first time around. I wonder if they missed something - but its not obvious to me.

There's a big O-ring on the clear basket lid. It needs lubed with a special grease. Slowly unscrew the gauge while the pump is running until air/water starts to come out. Let it run until it's just water.

If the gauge trick fixes it, but it comes back again, you have an air leak.

Skillset Guest

Ok - I'm all fixed up! Apparently, the air leak was caused by one of the screw caps to the pump basket. It was hand-tightened, but I used a screwdriver to really tighten it and that did the trick. It also fixed my foaming issue, so both problems solved.

Although one thing that I still don't understand is that when I attach a hose to the skimmer to vacuum, the guage drops by 3 and I get the swirling action again in the pump basket. As soon as I remove the hose, the guage and pump return to ""normal." It doesn't appear to affect vacuuming nor is the pool foaming when vacuuming, so I guess it's okay. I used 2 different hoses with the same problem, so I don't think it's the hoses. Guess I won't worry about it.

Thanks for the replies!

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

That happens to me also, and I figure it's a small amount of air in the hose. Even though I fill the hose with water from the return, and it only takes me <2-3 seconds to go from water line to skimmer basket. It's air.

CaryB

+ Reply to Thread