+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tsp ?? Whats this, Super green pool Help !

Exclamation Tsp ?? Whats this, Super green pool Help !

Help. My sister has been fighting what the pool store calls "Tsp" aka. phosphorus. I am totaly sold on the Bleach ( you saved my pool !) Now WE have to save hers!! Where do we start... Can this be fixed with just bleach ??? They said to drain the pool and to use ton of acid, chlorine. Whats your call.....
    I thank any and all help.....

Default Re: Tsp ?? Whats this, Super green pool Help !

I forgot to state it is a above the ground pool.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

"How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?
    One. But the light bulb has to want to change."

If your sister believes that the pool store guys know more than us, there's no point..."the light bulb has to want to change."

But if she worries they are BS'ing her, then we can help. Phosphate fighting is the latest expensive scam pool stores are pushing.

First, we need test values posted. If the pool store ran them, then post them. We'll need FC, CC, pH, T/A, CYA, and CH.

What are the dimensions of the pool? Is it round, or oval and how deep? (the water depth, not the wall height.

With those numbers we should be able to tell what's going on. But I expect that, as usual, massive dosing to shock levels with good ol' bleach for several days will fix it.
    Carl

Talking Re: Tsp ?? Whats this, Super green pool Help !

"How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?
    One. But the light bulb has to want to change."

Amen...I tried to get my sister-in-law to read the forum and use these methods last year after she kept complaining about how she couldn't keep algae out of her pool, couldn't keep PH down, all the chemicals she'd bought, etc.

No go, she didn't think it would work and couldn't believe my water was clear using bleach. Finally this spring, she asked if I could help her get her pool cleaned up. It was VERY green.

End of the story, she states now "My pool never looked so good!"

Quote Originally Posted by poolmimi View Post
    Amen...I tried to get my sister-in-law to read the forum and use these methods last year after she kept complaining about how she couldn't keep algae out of her pool, couldn't keep PH down, all the chemicals she'd bought, etc.

No go, she didn't think it would work and couldn't believe my water was clear using bleach. Finally this spring, she asked if I could help her get her pool cleaned up. It was VERY green.

Same story with one of my neighbors. Even after her daughter commented on how my pool water "glitters" and I told her about using bleach and keeping the CYA down, she still thinks I just spend more time taking care of my pool than they do. She's always trying magic chemicals and fighting algae and cloudy water, and said she'd never be able to put bleach in her pool. Oh well...

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Same story with one of my neighbors. Even after her daughter commented on how my pool water "glitters" and I told her about using bleach and keeping the CYA down, she still thinks I just spend more time taking care of my pool than they do. She's always trying magic chemicals and fighting algae and cloudy water, and said she'd never be able to put bleach in her pool. Oh well...
    Tell her to try liquid chlorine from the pool sto... no, never mind. Not your problem. You told her how you do it, she didn't believe you--stay WELL away!
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Tell her to try liquid chlorine from the pool sto... no, never mind. Not your problem. You told her how you do it, she didn't believe you--stay WELL away!
    Tried that. You know the drill.....When she asks for help, I'll be glad to give it.

Exclamation Re: Tsp ?? Whats this, Super green pool Help !

OK here is her numbers.....

chlorine - 0

Water ph - 7.6

Total Alkalinity - 120

Calc. hardness - 200

Cyanuric Acid - 0

Above Ground, Round, 12,000, Sand Filt. & 4 feet aprox.

She added 6 bleach 4/25 showed chlorine this morning but 0 now.

NOW here we go all help and basic walk though please !!

( Should she drain any water ?)

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

No, she doesn't need to drain any water. She has algae simply because she has no chlorine in her pool. Even though she has added some bleach, without having any cya in there, the chlorine isn't going to stick around long especially if it is hot and sunny.

For now, she needs to test her water at least 2x a day (and 3x a day would be better) and each time, add enough bleach to get her chlorine reading back up to 8-10. This is the only way to kill algae -- to sustain a high chlorine level. If it yo-yos up and down, she'll never defeat it. Also, run the pump 24/7 while trying to clear the water.

After the water clears, then she'll need to add some cya. Add enough per label directions to get a reading of about 25 ppm for now. She can add it directly into the skimmer while the pump is running. It will take up to a week to dissolve in the filter, so during that time, she shouldn't retest for it nor add any more. Don't want to overshoot the target. It is easier to add a little more later if needed, but if you get too much in there, the only way to reduce it is to do a partial drain. Until the cya begins to dissolve, her chlorine will disappear pretty quick so she'll need to continue testing at least 2x a day so the algae won't return. After the cya begins to show up, she'll be able to just test and dose with bleach in the evenings only. Hope this helps.

PH, alk and calcium all look fine.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

The quickest and easiest way to get both chlorine and CYA into the pool is to use Dichlor powder. Just keep in mind that for every 1.0 ppm FC that is added, you will be adding 0.9 ppm CYA. So adding enough Dichlor to get to around 20 ppm CYA should be enough to prevent the huge reduction from sunlight while not being too much until this algae problem gets cleared up. Once the equivalent of around 20 ppm FC or CYA is added via Dichlor, switch to bleach only at shock levels to get rid of the algae.

I just figure using only bleach at this point is going to be hard since it will be burning off very quickly from sunlight in addition to getting consumed by fighting the algae. I agree that you need to be careful to not add too much, but that can all be calculated readily based on what I said above (i.e. don't add more than 20 ppm FC worth of Dichlor to the pool). It takes 3 pounds of Dichlor per 10,000 gallons of pool water to raise the FC by 20 ppm and the CYA by 18 ppm.

Richard

+ Reply to Thread