+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Pilot plumbing

Default Pool Pilot plumbing

I have just taken delivery of a pool pilot SWG, well almost, as I had to send the cell back due to it being damaged out of the box. Little did I know that such an animal existed when I chose my screen name last year (a mix of my new found passtime and full time occupation).

My question is, and maybe Sean would like to answer this, the cell needs to be the last item in the return line, however I have a Tee fitting and a 1" line with brass ball valve leading to my pool cleaner pump just prior to the return line entering the ground. Prior to this Tee I have a 12" run that would be ideal for the cell location. What if any is the danger/disadvantage of this set up for my cell.

I could relocate the Tee fitting to a point prior to the cell however that would also require the cleaner pump to be relocated from its current position and adding longer hoses and electrical cords.

BTW, thanks to everyone our pool's been just fine running on the BBB method since we got it last July.

Default Re: Pool Pilot plumbing

Hey Pool Pilot!!! NICE name.

Thanks for choosing the Pool Pilot. To answer your question, how many hours do you run your cleaner? What horsepower pump do you have? I assume the booster pump is a 1/2 or 3/4 hp?

In most cases you should be fine with installing the manifold after this tee. If you're running the cleaner for several hours per day, you may be better off putting the manifold before this tee so that when it activates, it doesn't draw too much water away from the manifold's flow switch.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Default Re: Pool Pilot plumbing

Thanks Sean

I beleive my boost pump is 3/4 hp, label's a little weathered but I think it says 3/4. Main pump is 1hp and I have a Raypak heater and a 300# sand filter. Pool is 20x40,2 skimmers,2 returns, 1 main drain, 1 1/2" plumbing.

I run the cleaner about 90mins per day when I'm home, I work 7 on, 7 off. When I'm away it get run , maybe every other day if my better half remembers to switch it on or if she wants to swim. Right now the main pump is on a timer and runs 8 hours at night plus 4 hours durring the day. Seemed to work fine this way last year and am planning to continue this schedule this year.

If at all possible I'd like not to have to relocate the boost pump Tee, I was just concerned about the statement that says that the manifold/cell must be the last item in the return line. Right now the last item would be the 1" Tee to the boost pump, preceeded by the manifold which is preceeded by the heater.

I can't see how the boost pump would rob flow from the cell if it's location is after (downstream) the manifold. I was also a little concerned about the possible effect of the SWG on the boost pump and its components, ie: seals and brass ball valve.

If I can figure out how to post a picture I will.

+ Reply to Thread