+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The negatives side of salt pools

Default The negatives side of salt pools

I am really considering converting to Salt. I have read several positive things here but am curious about the negatives.

What are the negatives of a salt pool/system?

I also have dogs that love to drink pool water and swim. Anything I need to know if I want to convert to salt?
    Last edited by estermer; 04-21-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Default Re: The negatives side of salt pools

Negatives? This may be a biased answer..... There are no negatives.
    (there may be some that say the initial cost is a negative, but then again, I've seen some internet prices that make my jaw drop at how low a profit margin they are selling salt systems at).
    If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. In the meanwhile, your dog will love the water.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

There have been numerous threads on this and other forums about the possibility of corrosive effects on equipment, plaster, rebar, stone coping, etc. I've been following the arguments for both sides (for/against salt) and have yet to be convinced of either.

I am probably as biased as Sean on this one because Watermaid sells its own system. There are a couple of things that people are often not aware of when they buy a salt system but for the most part, they are great. You as a consumer need to be aware that the cells are a consumable in the system and they only last so long before they need to be replaced. After some time, you will see the production tail off or it won’t run at the salt level that it did when it was new. You can push the upper limit of the recommended salt to get production up. The sad reality is, the condition will only deteriorate over time and the cell will fail. Depending on the quality of the manufacture, they will only last so long and then you need to find a replacement. Here is a little industry secret. Most manufacturers make more money on replacement cells than they do on original equipment so make sure you know what you are buying, how long the warranty is, what is covered and what the system can do for you. Will the unit run at a low salt level or low water temperature? Up here in Canada it is pretty annoying to open your pool with a water temperature of 44 degrees and then find out that the chlorinator that you bought wont run because it is below the low water temperature cut off. No you don’t want to swim at that temperature but it is nice to start filtering and warming things up with the solar blanket so you don’t have to run your gas heater for 2 days to make the chlorinator work.

The only other down side is if you have an above ground pool. I have been saying all along that if you have an above ground pool, you need to be aware that if you have metal walls (yes aluminum is a metal) the track at the bottom of the pool will catch salt water and when it evaporates and then refills a few times, the salt will become concentrated and there will be corrosion. The sad part is some manufacturers make models for above ground pools. This is only going to make the public think that these “salt things” rust out all of the pools and that is not the case with in ground pools. I hope that I haven’t turned you off on salt chlorination because IMO there are a lot more positives than negatives when it comes to these systems. You just need to be aware of what you are getting for those hard-earned dollars.

Mark Manning
    Watermaid Canada
    www.watermaid.ca
    mark@watermaid.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_WATERMAID
    Will the unit run at a low salt level or low water temperature? Up here in Canada it is pretty annoying to open your pool with a water temperature of 44 degrees and then find out that the chlorinator that you bought wont run because it is below the low water temperature cut off. No you don’t want to swim at that temperature but it is nice to start filtering and warming things up with the solar blanket so you don’t have to run your gas heater for 2 days to make the chlorinator work.
    I really don't see that as a problem, since once you get in the 50's, not much (if anything) will grow in the water. I know you won't have anything growing in water that is < 50 degrees. During winter conditions (cold temps, short days and low sun angle) a simple addition of bleach lasts a LONG time.

Michael

duraleigh Guest

Hi, everyone,

I think "Jabre" introduces a cautionary thought to the discussion. Even tho Mark touches on it for AG pools, I wonder if the ladders, handrails, pools slides, lights in IG pools will not eventually be exposed to excessive corrosion from the salt.

I've seen a post or two on here concerning the affect of salt on soft, stone coping as well.

Not a deal breaker, but something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by mwsmith2
    I really don't see that as a problem, since once you get in the 50's, not much (if anything) will grow in the water. I know you won't have anything growing in water that is < 50 degrees. During winter conditions (cold temps, short days and low sun angle) a simple addition of bleach lasts a LONG time.

Michael

Just a note. I pulled the cover off of my pool today to get things started. My pool is 54 degrees and it is a lovely pale green colour. Believe me there is a lot growing in there. The point is, you dont want to have to add bleach if you can generate it.

Mark Manning
    Watermaid Canada
    www.watermaid.ca
    mark@watermaid.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_WATERMAID
    My pool is 54 degrees and it is a lovely pale green colour.
    I'd like my serving of crow well done, please!

Michael

duraleigh Guest

Michael

Wink Re: The negatives side of salt pools

Michael
    Want some algae on that

Mark Manning
    Watermaid Canada
    www.watermaid.ca
    mark@watermaid.ca

+ Reply to Thread