+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.5hp motor on a 19" sand filter - will it cause damage? Would like some advice.

ScottS is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst ScottS 0

Default 1.5hp motor on a 19" sand filter - will it cause damage? Would like some advice.

Shortened question:
    Would I cause damage to my 19" sand filter if I used a 1.5hp pump on the unit for a couple of weeks?

Lengthened explanation:
    I purchased a new 19" Waterway sand filter and a 1hp 2 speed pump for it. The filter arrived within a few days but the pump had to be drop shipped from Waterway. It was over 2 weeks before the pump arrived.
    Then when I have everything setup and ready to go I turn on the pump and all it does is hums. I removed the pump from the system, opened up the wet end, and tried to turn the impeller. It is very hard to turn for some reason. I have a feeling it’s going to be a while before this is settled.

My pool is suffering big time and turning swampy. I was keeping it somewhat under control with the old filter system but the tank has a crack so I could only use recirculate. I would like to get some filtration going and start the cleaning process. This is why I am inquiring on whether the 1.5hp pump will hurt my new filter.

What do you think?

Thanks y’all from a frustrated pool owner who is awaiting the moment something goes right with the filter system.

Default Re: 1.5hp motor on a 19" sand filter - will it cause damage? Would like some advice.

Without knowing the particulars, it's hard to say. You could plumb a cheap ball valve in a line around the filter to partially bypass it. Just adjust the ball valve for a reasonable pressure on the filter.

ScottS is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst ScottS 0

Default Re: 1.5hp motor on a 19" sand filter - will it cause damage? Would like some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Without knowing the particulars, it's hard to say. You could plumb a cheap ball valve in a line around the filter to partially bypass it. Just adjust the ball valve for a reasonable pressure on the filter.
    Thank you John that sounds like it will be a great workaround for the time being.

Tell me if this would work as it is what I intend to do based on what you stated.

1 1/2" pipe from the pump split by a 45 degree "y" connector.
    One pipe from the "y" running to the filter with a ball valve installed on that pipe.
    The other pipe from the "y" I intend on running over the side of the pool and just have the water returning to the pool.

Does that sound correct? Sound like a plan?

Thanks again!

BTW I believe the pump I have is rated for 60gpm while the filter is only rated for 45gpm MAX. This method should still work correct?
    Last edited by ScottS; 04-14-2007 at 12:06 AM.

You can either plumb the bypass back into the return line or straight into the pool. Whatever it takes to limit the water to the filter.

+ Reply to Thread