+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SWG and Puck Feeder?

catnip is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst catnip 0

Default SWG and Puck Feeder?

I've read quite a bit on this forum about the dangers of mixing various forms of chlorine in the same feeder mechanism, but I haven't seen this question discussed before: Is it OK to have a puck feeder (Rainbow) in line with a SWG?

I ask this because I'm considering leaving the current puck feeder in line as a backup source of continuous chlorine in case my (about to be installed) SWG fails for some reason and has to be out of service for a while. I need some form of continuous feeder because I'm away from the pool for days at a time.

As an alternative to leaving the puck feeder in line, I've thought of fitting it with unions and just swapping out the SWG and screwing in the puck feeder in its place.

Thanks for any insight anyone has on this!
    Last edited by catnip; 04-10-2007 at 02:45 PM.
    Chuck
    16,000 gallon gunite/plaster, Pool Pilot Digital SC-60, Pentair UltraFlow 1 HP pump, Pentair Tagelus TA 60 filter, Polaris 280

CanuckPool is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher CanuckPool 0

Default Re: SWG and Puck Feeder?

why dont you run a bypass line that has the puck feeder in parallel. A valve that can divert water pass the SWG to the feeder instead of disconnecting and reconnecting.

SWG's seem pretty reliable to me, and if your power fails while you're away you pump wont be running anyways so it kinda kills the solution that a puck feeder would provide.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If a puck feeder sits with water and a puck in it, it may well clog up.

There are myriad reasons why I do not advocate puck feeders, the biggest is that it tempts you to keep using the pucks when it's bad for your pool.

My suggestion: Yank the feeder out and use the fittings for the SWG. Meanwhile, if you are worried about the SWG failing, buy a $10 floater with adjustable openings and use THAT if the SWG fails and you can't be there to add bleach.
    Carl

Or if you know you're going to be away for a couple of days why don't you just ramp up your SWG to produce a bit more chlorine and then right before you leave reduce it back down... or shock the pool with bleach before you leave... if your SWG decides to pooch it the second you walk out the door I think you should have enough chlorine reserve to keep you out of trouble for two days.

Thanks for the replies. I think the floater sounds like the best alternative if the SWG dies. I'd rather not have to bump the chlorine up with the SWG "just in case" every time I leave.

I didn't see anyone comment on the safety of have a SWG and puck feeder in the same line. Though I don't think I will do that now, I'd still be interested to know if doing so would be a safety issue.
    Chuck
    16,000 gallon gunite/plaster, Pool Pilot Digital SC-60, Pentair UltraFlow 1 HP pump, Pentair Tagelus TA 60 filter, Polaris 280

Would you have them running at the same time or one or the other... not that I have the answer to your safety question.

Forget the floater, buy and store a few bottles of bleach. I do that anyway (most SWG users do) for very heavy loads (such as spring pollen season). If your SWG goes bad, you can easily maintain your pool using BBB for as long as it takes to get it fixed.

I think he is talking about when he is away if it breaks since there will be no one home to pour the bleach.

Canuck, you are correct. I need a way to feed chlorine for up to a week while I'm away and the SWG is out of service. Obviously, if the SWG breaks while I'm gone, I'm out of luck until I get back, clean up any bad things that may have happened and then get the backup feeder going for any more away trips. I agree BBB would be the best choice while I'm home, but I need a backup method that can hold things for a week which I can invoke quickly.
    Last edited by catnip; 04-11-2007 at 02:23 PM.
    Chuck

wow...sorry for my surprise at your question. But, do you have a second pump in case your main pump goes out while you're away?
    Salt systems have been around for quite a while and should not have to have a back up source of chlorine, just in case the salt system fails.
    To answer your question, there is no problem with having a salt system and a tri-chlor feeder operating together. I would recommend, as was previously recommended, that the tab feeder and salt cell be plumbed parallel to one another.
    Most systems have a Boost mode. Simply activate a boost mode before you leave so additional chlorine can be fed into the pool before you leave and should provide additional chlorine in the event that the salt system fails. The additional chlorine should keep algae at bay while you are away.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

+ Reply to Thread