+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waterline tile cleaning

Sumo1 is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher Sumo1 0

Default Waterline tile cleaning

What are the best products or remedies out there to clean waterline tiles? I know a good scotchbrite type pad is part of the mix, but what to use with it?
    Hal
    20x40 IG gunite free form, approx. 27K gal, 60sq DE filter, Jandy Stealth 2hp 2speed pump, Polaris 380, SWCG

Default Re: Waterline tile cleaning

I bought some tile cleaner at local PS, it is sort of a blue gel that I believe is acid based. Works OK, not great when you use it saturated with water. But I recently had to drain pool slightly and used it on tile at that time and worked much better....and you are right a scotch bright pad/handle is application.
    Mike
    Pool newbe
    12k IG . Marcite
    Cart. Filter
    Spillover Spa
    Lp Heater

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I just use tile soap. You can get it by the gallon in most pool stores. If there is any scale build up I mix some acid in it (about 1 part acid to 5 parts soap). I have not had to use it nearly as often since I dropped a 'scumbug' into my skimmer. It's a sponge made of an oil aborbing plastic and it really works! IMHO, every skimmer will benefit from skimmer socks and a scumbug http://www.rola-chem.com/scumbug.html
    (or similar product...there are also scumballs and sunsorbs that I have seen that are the same except for the shape.)

Tile soap is also good for getting stuff like pollen off the water surface. Put some in a squeeze bottle like you would use for haircolor or ketchup that has a nozzle and squirt a line of it across the middle of the pool. All the pollen will collect around the edge and can be easily skimmed off! The squeeze bottle is also a good dispenser to use with your scotchbrite pad as you walk around the pool perimeter. I picked up a scrubber with a reseviour that goes on the end of my pool for the soap at one of the local pool stores that works well. Same principle as those dish cleaning wands with a sponge on the end and a hollow handle that you fill with dishwashing detergent.
    Last edited by waterbear; 04-10-2007 at 11:40 AM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Waterline tile cleaning

Hi Hal,
    what I've always used is either baking soda or pH-Up in a paste on the green 'sponge' that you mentioned. The pH-Up seems to work a little better (it's sodium carbonate -- the Arm and Hammer washing soda mentioned elswhere on this site). I'm not saying that mneal's nor (and especially) Evan's products aren't great - I've just seen the 'tile and liner' cleaners, from the places I've worked, cause a foaming problem. While the amount of pH-Up or baking soda you need to clean the tile line is small for most pools, it will effect the pH and alk - so may not be a good idea if you're already at the upper level of where you want those values to be. However, you probably already have some baking soda on hand - it's always nice to save a few $

Good luck with your pool's spring cleaning - and let us know how the church's pool is progressing!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

VOLDADDY is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher VOLDADDY 1 star

Mr. Clean magic eraser works wonders.

"Mr. Clean magic eraser works wonders."

I'll second that and they're much cheaper at Sam's or Costco when buying in bulk
    Herb

Sumo1 is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher Sumo1 0

Does the Magic Eraser work on the tile grout?
    Hal
    20x40 IG gunite free form, approx. 27K gal, 60sq DE filter, Jandy Stealth 2hp 2speed pump, Polaris 380, SWCG

I have used the Magic eraser as well on my vinyl liner and spiil over hot tub. It does work wonders.

I know there was some concern about using it in the pool because of the chlorine. But I believe it was determined that the level of chlorine in the water was ok to use with the magic eraser.
    Last edited by SUNNYDAYS; 04-16-2007 at 01:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread