+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Want to add SWG....couple questions

Default Want to add SWG....couple questions

I have ~1 yr old IGP and spill over spa and want to add SWG....I think. I have done a ton of research here and found lot good info as always. I am leaning towards a AquaRite because I like the separate flow switch. This is because I want to install flow switch at the pool return so I don't over chlorinate the spa when I am using it is stand alone mode. Otherwise I was thinking a Autopoilot, they are integrated right? I am pretty handy and think I can install myself. Am I worrying too much about the cell kicking in and over chlorinating the spa if I go with a AP digital? I don't care about bells and whistles (timed lights etc.) but any advice on what level options I should get ? ( I am planning on getting larger cell). I also think a salt level readout would be beneficial. From what I can tell none of them self adjust duty cycle of the cell to adjust CC level do they?
    Mike
    Pool newbe
    12k IG . Marcite
    Cart. Filter
    Spillover Spa
    Lp Heater

nater is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher nater 0

Default Re: Want to add SWG....couple questions

I can't speak to the Aquarite or having a spa, but I can give my take on a couple of your questions:

Installation: Pretty straightforward. I use my AP DIG-220 to control pump run time. The manual tells you everything you need to know. That being said, if you have ANY doubts, consult a qualified electrician. Far better to err on the safe side.

The AP unit is integrated, the cell and flow switch are all in the same header. It uses a bypass valve to send 20-30 gpm (I think) to the cell, while the rest goes to the pool as normal. I believe the advantage to this is that the cell "sees" constant flow to reduce variability in your Cl level.

Since installing the SWC, I've never had CC. I believe you can get the "total control" package which will use ORP sensors to maintain pH and cl levels, but I don't know all the details on these.

I would recomend oversizing the cell. I run the 60 series in my 20,000 gal IG, and maintain 4-6 ppm FC at about 30% in the full summer sun and high bather load. Should lead to longer cell life.

Good luck!
    Nater
    16x32 Vinyl IG, 20,000 gal, Autopilot DIG-220 w/60 series cell, Dolphin Diagnostic Pool Boy

Davenj is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Davenj 0

I have a setup similar to yours. My SWCG is plumbed into the returns of the pool not the spa. When I run the spa the SWCG isn't connected to the spa. When I run the pool and spill over the water from the pool circulates through the spa. I don't know anything about the Aquarite, AutoPilot here also. Hope this helps.

The Total control about doubles the cost of the system, due to the acid tank with feed pump, and ORP/pH sensors, which will automate your system, regardless of if you're cycling the pool water or spa water through the manifold. The sensors activate the cell as needed.

As for the Digital (or Aquarite), the cell should be plumbed in the pool return line so that you do not overchlorinate the spa, when isolated. IF you have the Aquarite electronic control center, it can be programmed to operate at a reduced output for spa usage, different from the normal pool setting. I think they are the only system that can do this.

Hope this helps,
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

The way the pool is plumbed thru the heater and jandy value and then off the slab I have no way of getting the cell between the valve and the ground, I have exactly 11 inches past the ball valve of all vertical pipe to where it goes underground. (unless it got really ugly and looped up or something, yuck). So I figured I could put the flow switch in the pool return and the cell before the jandy and ball valves. (I hope that makes sense). That would have same effect...all spa= no cell and not over chlorinate. Sounds like I for sure do not want the cell to run full power in just spa mode. So if I went with Total Control AP system it will not over chlorinate and adjust the Cl levels when it was just running the spa? (I knew it did the pH with acid but was not sure about Cl level, I guess that is the ORP thing). I really like the AP, plus it supports Sean a common supported/poster of my favorite pool site. Sean is it OK if I contact you off line to discuss cost options?
    Mike
    Pool newbe
    12k IG . Marcite
    Cart. Filter
    Spillover Spa
    Lp Heater

I have my aquarite plumbed right after the heater, so when in spa mode it still generates chlorine. I ran the system for four hours in spa mode, and then took a chlorine reading, which read only slightly darker than before(if my memory is and goodd)Unless you run your spa for many hours everyday, I dont think it would be a problem. If you are worried, you could just turn off the unit until your back in pool mode.

Of course your milage will vary depending on your spa size.

+ Reply to Thread