+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solar Heating

Default Solar Heating

So, I got my AGP yesterday, and they sent me the wrong liner... They offered me $70 worth of in-store credit if I'll keep the one they sent, so I'm looking at solar heating equipment.

Can anyone give me advice on the systems shown here:

http://www.poolsupplies.com/heating/...ng-systems.asp

They're all pretty similarly priced, but I don't know anything about the quality of them at all.

Also, any of you who use solar, can you advise me on how many panels I'll need? I seem to remember a thread where a few people said they use less than the manufacturer recommends, because you're only trying to assist the sun, rather than actually fully heat your pool.

My pool is 18x33x54 oval. I have good south and west exposure, and ideally, I'd liketo run my collectors next tomy deck, facing south.. my deck will be approx 20' long, placed at one end of the pool... my only other good option for placing panels is to mount them vertically on a cinderblock wall that's next to my pool, or lay them flat on the ground next to my pool, which is partly shaded by my house.

Thumbs up Re: Solar Heating

I purchased a set of Ebay last year ( much cheaper...) I have a 21x41 with a 6' deep end. I plumbed the panel to one of the outlets with the divertor vavle... when on the water is very warm entering the pool. I only was able to use 1/2 the season but it worked very well.

mine is mounted to a framework i constructed at a 45 degree angle and against the side of my home "south facing".... gets a lot of exposure..

Default Re: Solar Heating

I am running 2 2x20 panels on the ground next to the pool. Last year I seen a jump in temp of about 4 to 8 f using a solar cover. The units I am using have a rated output of 1000 btu per sq ft per hour. 1 btu = 1 pound of water 1 degree per hour. I gal of water = 6.3 to 6.6 lb ---> 151 gal of water 1 degree per hour * number of sq ft. For my self that is about 12000 gal of water 1 degree per hour based on 80 sq ft. I can get about 7 hours of sun where I have my panels set up so I the math lets me get 6.28 deg f each day. But in the real world it is not so predictable. Wind, ground temp, and other effect the panel.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by badutahboy View Post
    So, I got my AGP yesterday, and they sent me the wrong liner... They offered me $70 worth of in-store credit if I'll keep the one they sent, so I'm looking at solar heating equipment.

Hi,

Solar Heating is certainly worth investigating. But first things first...what liner was supposed to come with your pool. What liner did you receive (that they're giving you a $70.00 credit for).

If the original liner, that you were supposed to get, is of better quality...I would get the better liner.

dan

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Hi,

Solar Heating is certainly worth investigating. But first things first...what liner was supposed to come with your pool. What liner did you receive (that they're giving you a $70.00 credit for).

If the original liner, that you were supposed to get, is of better quality...I would get the better liner.

dan

Same quality liner, different pattern. They're both 25 gauge (about 20 mill) liners, but the one they sent is much lighter than the one I want.

I was originally going to have them just send me the correct liner, but they're backordered on them for about 3 weeks. I'm hoping to have the pool assembled and filled long before that (who knows if that'll happen, though).

Which ones did you buy on ebay? I'm looking and they're cheaper, but I have no idea how they stack up in terms of quality.

Here's another question....I'm looking at some on ebay, and they're cheap enough that I could buy 2 4x20 panels for just a little more than 2 2x20 panels through a retailer. I'm thinking that might be beneficial for getting a jump start on spring and extending the season a little longer into the fall....

Do any of you guys remove your heaters in the middle of the summer? I was thinking that if I bought two systems, I could pull one out and only use it for the spring and fall, and disconnect it and store it through the summer.

Anyone got any input on that idea?

Here is a link to solar panel comparison by FL Solar
    http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/industry/...ings/index.htm

Steve

Same quality liner, different pattern. They're both 25 gauge (about 20 mill) liners, but the one they sent is much lighter than the one I want.

Good deal! Just wanted to make sure. I bought a 4'x20' SolarBear panel last year, but haven't hooked it up yet. I'm hoping I get the yard (and deck) done this year so I could hook up the Solar panel.

good luck!
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Good deal! Just wanted to make sure. I bought a 4'x20' SolarBear panel last year, but haven't hooked it up yet. I'm hoping I get the yard (and deck) done this year so I could hook up the Solar panel.

good luck!
    dan

Lol.. I'm in the same boat.. my back yard is a weed field. We managed to get the sprinklers in last summer, but took our sweet time about it, and when we were done, the weeds had grown back. Hoping I can get the weeds dealt with, put sod down, and build the pool and a deck this summer....

Here's another question....I'm looking at some on ebay, and they're cheap enough that I could buy 2 4x20 panels for just a little more than 2 2x20 panels through a retailer. I'm thinking that might be beneficial for getting a jump start on spring and extending the season a little longer into the fall....

Do any of you guys remove your heaters in the middle of the summer? I was thinking that if I bought two systems, I could pull one out and only use it for the spring and fall, and disconnect it and store it through the summer.

Anyone got any input on that idea?

Bumping this question.

+ Reply to Thread