+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how long after you add salt??

slowtan is offline ** No working email address ** slowtan 0

Default how long after you add salt??

How long after you add salt before your SWG will tell you an accurate level?

I have the Mineral Springs MS-22 by Bioguard.

It says to add about 215lbs of salt and I have added 180lbs so far and it still says 2600 on the display of the SWG. I have been leaving my pump on high running 24 hours. It has only beeen running about 12 hours since addding the salt. I didn't want to over add the salt as I heard the only way to lower is to drain.

My water is also now cloudy. I looked and I am not seeing any salt at the bottom but the water is cloudy. How long before it will clear up too ??

nater is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher nater 0

Default Re: how long after you add salt??

Salt dissolves pretty quickly, but you should wait for at least one complete water turn over cycle, the longer the better.

Adding salt to the recomended levels should not make your water cloudy. Can you post a full set of test numbers, including ppm salt?

How big is your pool? You can add liquid bleach to keep the water clean until you're sure the SWC is working as it should.

You'll want either a salt test kit (drops) or test strips (the salt strips are reported to be accurate and repeatable). You may need to calibrate your SWC after you get an actual reading from your water. I know mine was initially off by about 400 ppm. Now it stays within 50-100 ppm, which is good enough for me.
    Nater
    16x32 Vinyl IG, 20,000 gal, Autopilot DIG-220 w/60 series cell, Dolphin Diagnostic Pool Boy

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: how long after you add salt??

Slowtan, this post has some info on Goldline SWCGs not giving the right salt #. Use the diagnostic button the check instant salinity (push #5).

I suspect that your unit may be identical to the AquaTrol model and has a timer built into the box - even though you're not powering the pump via the box the unit will only generate (and update the salt display) when the timer is on - this would explain your current problem
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

slowtan is offline ** No working email address ** slowtan 0

Default Re: how long after you add salt??

My unit is like the Aquatrol and does have a timer. I am using it to power my pump out of convience and my old timer was flaky.

I don't have the PPM salt other than going off of the display.

hardness 200
    TA 130
    CYA 85
    PH 7.7 ( I added acid a day before starting the salt)
    ch 3

I tested this 1 day before doing the salt ..

My display on the SWC is saying 3600 which I think is high. I can't find my book right now so I am not sure. My pool is about 8500 gallons and it called for 216lbs of salt and I only added 160lbs .. I bought 200 and was going to do the last bag slow, but I am going to stop since the display is saying 3600. I will wait another day or two and see if the # on the display drops. We had a heavy rain and my pool went from mid skimmer to top of the skimmer.

+ Reply to Thread