+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Issues with Pool

SPitz Guest

Default Issues with Pool

Hello All,

We had a pool built last year, started in April 06 and swimming about a month later. We had a few problems that the builder had to rectify, some still exist.

1. Tool/Trowel marks in the plaster. Builder says that some marks are always going to show, particularly when the lights are on in the evening.

2. White substance on the grout around the spa only that looks like crystals. Builder says thats normal with salt systems.

3. Spa spillway drips constantly to the point that the front of the spa is constantly wet. The wet part is not the big deal. The problem is the film that is left on the flagstone that looks like sand. I can wipe it off and it feels like sand.

4. There is something on some of the tiles. Looks white but is hard and is not removed by scrubbing or with any type of remover.

My question is, am I just being over picky about the pool or are these real problems. The builder kind of blew me off late last year and I've emailed him with a list of problems again and am waiting on his response.

Honestly, I'd really like to have a third party pool company come out and look at the overall project to see if I have any other problems or to tell me I'm over reacting.

We're even having house foundation problems where we found a large crack in the foundation where our water fill system was installed. Not happy at all.

I'd love to hear your thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Issues with Pool

Quote Originally Posted by SPitz View Post
    Hello All,
    1. Tool/Trowel marks in the plaster. Builder says that some marks are always going to show, particularly when the lights are on in the evening.

2. White substance on the grout around the spa only that looks like crystals. Builder says thats normal with salt systems.

3. Spa spillway drips constantly to the point that the front of the spa is constantly wet. The wet part is not the big deal. The problem is the film that is left on the flagstone that looks like sand. I can wipe it off and it feels like sand.

4. There is something on some of the tiles. Looks white but is hard and is not removed by scrubbing or with any type of remover.
    #1. Trowel Marks - I have a few in my pool as well. As your PB stated, they are more prevelant when the lights are on at night. Shadows are cast across the imperfections. Can you capture some of them on camera? Would they show up well enough?

#2 and #3 - Salt Crystals - Sounds to me like you have salt crystals forming. How often do you circulate the pool? How often do you brush down your pool. How often does your pool get used? I was informed by my builder up front that I would need to pay a little more attention to detail with the maintenance of the pool. My fountain bubbler (in the pool) plays a double roll... Not only does it keep my tanning ledge free of dirt, etc. it also provides agitation in the pool so I do not have a constant waterline around my tile. My build up of salt is substantially less.

#4. Visit your local pool supply store and ask them for a scrubbing stone. It is not actually a stone but a very had piece of rubber used to remove exactly what you are mentioning. It works in the same respect as an eraser does on a pencil.

I hope that helps. I too am fairly new when it comes to pool ownership. The more I read, the more I learn. I am sure others on the site will provide some other ideas as well. Good Luck and keep us posted.

SPitz Guest

Thanks divnkd101!

The crystalization is occuring just along the grout lines of the spa but no where around the pool. In addition, the crystals are all around the spa, even where there is no water (back side). This all started within a month of the pool opening when we were running the filter 12 hours a day. This is what concerns me the most.

Regarding the tile, we've tried everything the pool supply companies have thrown at us but nothing works. It's almost like a permanant crust on the tiles. UGH!

I've sent an email to the pool builder asking him to come back out to take a look at some of these things. I would feel a lot better if I had an independant inspection done of the pool.

Thanks for the input!

I too have the crystals form on, what you would think is, the dry side. Don't forget that when people are in the pool, water is splashed around and droplets of water will crystalize. I take a fresh water hose and hose off my flagstone surround on the spa when I am out watering the plants. It has made a big difference for me. I fully understand your concerns and applaud the fact that you are contacting the PB. It is your referrals that will help bring additional business. He/She should be doing everything to put your worries at ease. Keep us posted on the outcome. Good Luck.

+ Reply to Thread