+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A new pool forum

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: A new pool forum

Canuck,
    Yes, Ben, or somebody, does have to pay to keep the site alive. He did tell me a number one time and I think that was just for the bandwidth.....not cheap. Throw in the hardware and software and the cost only goes higher.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos View Post
    Canuck,
    Yes, Ben, or somebody, does have to pay to keep the site alive. He did tell me a number one time and I think that was just for the bandwidth.....not cheap. Throw in the hardware and software and the cost only goes higher.
    Al
    I would imagine that it is probably roughly $100 a year. A forum is basically a limited website, not alot of graphics, not alot of storage requirements, mostly text, all images are stored offsite, like at imageshack or photobucket. Hardware... meh... the provider, provides that, software is a one time investment, unless you upgrade that is. If he paid for like say two years at a time like I did when I had a computer repair forum, then it could be like this for an indeterminable amount of time. But as for a high cost of running this, I don't see it, all you have is a domain name and a host. This is a template, out of the box site with little to no additional tweaking.

I run a forum much smaller than this and it's NOT cheap. There are NO ads on this site, to have an ad-free site costs $$. We have the ability to post attachments here. That also costs $$.

These things may not cost a lot individually, but if the fees are monthly (like they are on MY site), there is definitely costs involved that one may not have thought about.

I DO hope that life for Ben starts to settle down and that he can find his way back to his forum (and business). I've learned so much here and would hate to see it flounder into oblivion.

SeanB. is offline --General User-- Weir Watcher SeanB. 0

Just a quick bump. I've steadily been making changes to the site, including the ability to upload attachments.

----------------------------------
    Site Owner
    www.troublefreepool.com
    Last edited by SeanB.; 11-10-2007 at 04:28 AM.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

The $100 a year is way off base. That's less than the cost of a dialup connection. Keep in mind, all this stuff is hosted on Bens computers and under his total control. That means bandwidth has to be leased. If you look at the forum stats at the bottom of the home page, there are a lot of members, 20,000+, and 588 active whatever that means, and the number online at any one time can be quite high. Even with a bunch of people on at one time I have never seen an access slowdown.
    Al

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who may be dropping by my site and may not have seen the announcement. As part of ongoing efforts to improve the hosting platform, the host company will be performing a full network upgrade on Saturday, April 14th. This will include moving networks which will result in a 12-24 hour downtime while our DNS Cache updates.

It will begin at approximately 12pm PST, and depending on your isp, could last anywhere from 2-24 hrs before the site is available again. On the bright side, performance and access will be MUCH improved.

Thanks for your patience,
    Sean

-----------------------------------
    Site Owner
    www.troublefreepool.com
    Last edited by SeanB.; 11-10-2007 at 04:29 AM.

Hi Sean,

I registered a month ago and now it's telling me that it doesn't recognize my e-mail or sign on. help?
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean View Post
    Hi Sean,

I registered a month ago and now it's telling me that it doesn't recognize my e-mail or sign on. help?

hmmm. I had actually looked, hoping you had signed up, but never saw your name as a user. I didn't want to be too pushy.

Could you try and register one more time? If that doesn't work, shoot me an e-mail.

Thanks,
    Sean

--------------------------------------
    Site Owner
    www.troublefreepool.com

RavenNS is offline Established User Weir Watcher RavenNS Not to be trusted

just tried to register
    got message :

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
    File : emailer.php

Quote Originally Posted by RavenNS View Post
    just tried to register
    got message :

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
    File : emailer.php
    Were you able to log in? I show a new member RavenNS created today.

------------------------------------
    Site Owner
    www.troublefreepool.com

+ Reply to Thread