+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relocate pool light junction box?!?

Default Relocate pool light junction box?!?

I need to relocate the pool light junction box. The new location will be about 6' away.
    There are 3 conduits that come out of the ground and into the little black box that has BWF MFG on the cover. One steel conduit heads toward the equipment area, a brass pipe goes to the light in the pool, and the third leads somewhere else...maybe to one of the other lights (SAM) in the pool or spa.

Here's my question. Do I need to pull new wire from all 3 areas back to this box, or can I somehow bury this junction and reroute it up in the new location?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Relocate pool light junction box?!?

n2n, welcome (back) to the forum! While you can put another junctionbox wherever you'd like, burrying the origonal may violate local codes which require such connections to be a specified heigth above the pool water.
    If 2 of the feeds are from lights in the pool, I strongly doubt that the installers left you the extra 6' you'd need to completely rerout them. If only 1 is from the pool and spa, you may be able to do it if the location was closer to the source (if the other 2 lines attatch to power source and something not in the pool (say deck lights)), the only one that needs to be X" above the pool is the lights.
    I don't know why you want/ need to move the current ( ) box, but find out what the local codes are for pool lights and then you can better decide if it's possible - you can leave the existing box there and move the connections wherever you want (using the existing one as a 'feed'/ connection point for the other), but it sounds like you want it out of the way for something else.
    I'm not an electrician, but SAFETY FIRST!!, you don't want to possibly electrocute anyone who uses your pool!
    If I can be of further help or clarify something in my response, let me know
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Relocate pool light junction box?!?

When the pool was built, I needed to tell the builder where to put the elevated box.
    I had planned to have it six inches from a future add-on. I The room addition plans changed thus leaving the box about 6 feet out into the yard.
    I'm going to take your advice and check the code tomorrow, hopefully there is an easy or inexpensive solution.
    thx-

+ Reply to Thread