+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Locating an Air Leak

Default Locating an Air Leak

Hey Guys
    I have a catridge filter (filter & motor were replaced 2 years ago). When I clean the filter the pump basket is almost free of air but 3-4 days later the pump basket is about 1/2 full of water. I havent had this problem in past years. The filter does have a lot of debris but cleaning the filter every 3-4 days seems excessive.

The pump basket gasket looks good & I did lube it. I used dye & could not find a suction leak. I also used a stethascope without any luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jim

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Locating an Air Leak

From what you say it sounds like the filter is plugging up slowly and because of reduced flow any air that does get in the system isn't purged. Sounds odd. What is the pressure doing? This may be a clue.
    Al

Thanks for the response Al. The pressure starts at 15 on the first day and then raises to 20-22 when the problem occurs. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos View Post
    From what you say it sounds like the filter is plugging up slowly and because of reduced flow any air that does get in the system isn't purged. Sounds odd. What is the pressure doing? This may be a clue.
    Al

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

From what I have read on this forum that pressure sounds real high for a cartridge filter. I think I saw a post recently that stated somewhere in the low teens but not sure of that. I'll bet if you check the flow you will find it's real low.
    Al

+ Reply to Thread