+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacement Liner for IG

Default Replacement Liner for IG

Hi All,

At the end of last season, our liner in our inground tore 12 inches right along where the bead and liner fuse. Upon checking it out, we noticed a lot of small cracking (dry rotting?) along this edge.

The liner is coming up on 15 years old and has faded quite a bit the last few years. So it appears it is time to replace it!

So I got a quote from the company that originally installed the pool. A well known and respected company.

The pool is 19K Gallons and is a traditional L in the size of 18X16X26X40L.

The quote is for a 20ML liner, installed, new face plates, gaskets, labor and water for $4523!!!

So a few questions:

What thickness of liner? 20 or 28?

Is this something we can DIY? We are very handy people and have been around construction biz most of our lives

Is this price in line or way off base?

Advice is greatly appreciated.

tonyl is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tonyl 0

Default Re: Replacement Liner for IG

I replaced mine last spring for around $850. All by myself when the wife was at work. Bought the liner from WaterWarehouse after emailing the specs to them. Not affiliated with Waterwarehouse, almost bought from intheswim but liked the pattern we have now. Just replace the gaskets from each return and the skimmer plate gasket. If you're in the least bit handy I'd do it yourself. Hardest part was putting the box in the pool, weighs around 230#. I went with a 20mil, I thought it would be easier to work with. Any extra thickness is for peace of mine.

I definitely recommend this as a DIY project. My pool company quoted me $2000 plus water which was more reasonable than yours, but I felt I could do it, and it came out perfectly.

Hope this helps and any questions let me know, Tony

Oh yeah, mine is 18X36 sport pool (3.5' on each end, 5.5' in the center) and about 20k gallons.
    Last edited by tonyl; 03-24-2007 at 08:16 PM.

CanuckPool is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher CanuckPool 0

FOund this on metacafe, it looks like its from the 1970's but it may help you alittle

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/465724...l_part_3_of_4/

Not sure if we will be able to do this as a DIY or not.

Couple of challenges.

Our pool's shape is complex when you include all the slopes and angles it has on the sides / bottom. Makes measuring REALLY difficult since there is no way for me to get in there this time of year to get the best measurements.

We also have walk in stairs in the low end of the L. From what I am told, this can create some real challenges in that since the liner is sealed under the water level you can have some bad leaks if not done right.

Have no idea what the condition is under the liner. Assuming all is fine, but the possiblity may exist if there are problems.

Not happy with the price quoted by the original installer. Looking at getting additional quotes and more advice before making decision.

tonyl is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tonyl 0

Couple of thoughts relative to measuring your pool.

When I measured mine I used my pole with a cable tie snug enough to move to pinpoint the water level at each measurement. Then measured from the water level to the bead for total heighth. When plotting the coves/angles, have somebody help you to make sure the pole is straight up at the bottom of the slope(s), then measure from that point to the side(s).

I also have walk in steps and what you do is remove the strips on each side and bottom. When you replace the liner, reattach those strips then cut the liner at the inside of them with a razor knife.

Hope this helps, Tony

+ Reply to Thread