+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Add a booster Pump and run over Concrete?

Question Add a booster Pump and run over Concrete?

I have a 40,000 gallon L shape pool.
    It was not installed with a line to add a booster pump.
    I have not been happy with any cleaner I try other than my pool buster for spot cleaning.

I have mostly dirt and dust- I was told I could add a booster pump by running it under ground to concrete and when I hit the concrete- run it up over the concrete. Not very pretty but can be unhooked an hidden during parties, etc.

One side of my pool has concrete out only about 3 feet.
    Anyone ever seen this done or working?

Default Re: Add a booster Pump and run over Concrete?

Have you looked into a Robotic type of cleaner (dolphin, aquabot, blue diamond, etc)? I had a Polaris 280 with booster that did an okay job, but did not do a great job climbing the walls (just my personal experience, some others have no issue with this).
    Also, even with the sand/silt filter it ended up throwing the finer particals into the water, clouding the water until the filter could filter it all out.

I purchased the Blue Pearl (cheaper cousin of the Blue Diamond), while this is only the second day I have used it but has done an excellent job of spring cleanup.

Might want to be an option if you haven't considered it yet, the cost of the booster pump, the cleaner, and installing all of it I assume would be higher or close to the same as a good robotic cleaner.

More to the point of your question though, I installed a PVC pipe for the purpose of filling the pool after it was built. I have a threaded connection where it comes up from the ground, then the pole that runs to the pool. When not in use I just turn it so the pipe that lays over the concreate goes into the grass and turn it back when I want to use it. I painted it green for the purpose of being able to see it so you don't trip over it while it is over the concrete and for it to blend in better when it is in the grass.

I'm not sure if the whole threaded connection would work without leaking under the much higher water pressure going the booster pump line though.
    Last edited by falken; 03-24-2007 at 05:00 PM.
    Pool discussion site - new users accepted - questions crossposted here upon request: []www.pooltalk.info[]

Thank you for the reply.

I had tried an aquabot and had trouble with it either staying in the deep end or staying in the shallow end. It did not do a good job for me. I wanted to drop it in and come back to a clean pool. Maybe I am too picky.

I used to clean the pool once a week, last year I cleaned it twice a week- but every day after I cleaned the pool- I would have dirt on the bottom.
    It wasn't sand, and was not slippery like an algae.

I want to try one and make sure it cleans before I settle on one.
    If not- I would like try another until I find the one that works.
    I guess we would all like that!!!

As you mentioned it could be expensive adding everything- and I may still have a dusty pool....

I thought about buying one all last year and I may end up doing the same this year, just keep thinking about it and clean the old way...

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

You could try this pressure side cleaner:

www.thepoolcleaner.com

It does not require a booster pump and runs on less PSI than most non-booster cleaners.

I have the suction version which does a great job. Suction side cleaners are good for dirty/sanding pools that do not have too many leaves.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Pam & Jim, an L-shaped pool is one of the hardest for any auto pool cleaner to work in. If you want to, with only dust and dirt in your pool, you might consider the original "Pool Sweep." It is a booster-pump (pressure) style cleaner. It is still listed as available on the Pentair web-site, www.pentairpool.com. When they were made by Arneson, an over-the-deck kit was available, Pentair may also have one. It would probably have to ordered, but is a great cleaner (though now considered "old-fashioned").

Why not get a suction cleaner and stick the hose in the skimmer ? I had that set up for a year or so and it worked pretty good. When I had my pool replastered last summer I had a dedicated suction line plumbed under the cool deck.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Quote Originally Posted by Pam and Jim View Post
    I have a 40,000 gallon L shape pool.
    It was not installed with a line to add a booster pump.
    I have not been happy with any cleaner I try other than my pool buster for spot cleaning.

I have mostly dirt and dust- I was told I could add a booster pump by running it under ground to concrete and when I hit the concrete- run it up over the concrete. Not very pretty but can be unhooked an hidden during parties, etc.

One side of my pool has concrete out only about 3 feet.
    Anyone ever seen this done or working?
    I was in the same boat as you. However, I did get a pool rover PLUS and its was at best. Talk about a cleaner worth the money. I think all cleaners that are suction side are not worth a POOT. I also have to say that Aquabot service is EXCELLENT. I think you will be happy with a pool rover or pool rover plus. Make sure you get both bags. Since you mention that you have small dirt and dust, that micro-fiber bag rocks. We have a lot of construction around our neighborhood and there is a lot of dirt in out pool. That MF bag kicks butt,, but that is the thanks of the PRP doing its job. read about it at aquaproducts.com or do a search on here. I use to fiddle w/ our Polaris150 suction side and its a real stinker and I was sick and tired of messing with the return jets just to properly work the polaris150, and at that, it was not doing a good job. They are crap. No need for a booster pump and all that money being spent.

As for that pool buster, it is ok for like steps, but not your whole pool. I am thinking about that pool buster just for the steps, which I plan to get around summer start-up.
    Last edited by Pool_Mike; 03-26-2007 at 04:01 PM.
    Yes I am a newbie

Grecian 17'x33' Vinyl liner pool
    ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glas 1.5hp pump.
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

+ Reply to Thread