+ Reply to Thread

Thread: media level in a sand filter tank

ScottS is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst ScottS 0

Default media level in a sand filter tank

Hey all. First off I hope all is well with Ben and I am happy to see some of the older members still around.

My question pertains to the actual level of media in the tank of a sand filter. I have a Pentair Sand Dollar (SD-60) filter system which consists of a 22"/200lb tank and this will be the third season it is setup.

I use zeolite (ZeoSand) as my filter media which called for 1/2 the weight of sand so I filled the tank with 100lbs of ZeoSand. I removed my multi-port valve to check everything out today and the tank is not even half way full.

Should the media fill at least half of the tank? I am thinking about adding another 25lb bag, would that be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Last edited by ScottS; 03-21-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: media level in a sand filter tank

Logic tells me the level of the media should be as high as possible and still maintain maximum surface area. That is, fill it to the point before the tank starts dropping diameter. Water is sprayed from the top so you want maximum collection area.
    Al

Thank you Al.

Unfortunately my issue is larger than the sand level now. My 2 year old tank has a small split near the bottom which is where the water is being lost under pressure.

I am frustrated with Pentair as they moved to a 1 year warranty about 3 years ago so they won't do anything. There was absolutely no reason for the tank to split. Pentair brags about the strength of this tank in every piece of literature they publish, it was the last thing (BUT most expensive) I would have expected to give me problems.

I will probably post a new thread but do you know if a tank can be patched with fiberglass? I'm thinking of using the braided fabric and resin on the inside of the tank.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Thank you Al.

Unfortunately my issue is larger than the sand level now. My 2 year old tank has a small split near the bottom which is where the water is being lost under pressure.

I am frustrated with Pentair as they moved to a 1 year warranty about 3 years ago so they won't do anything. There was absolutely no reason for the tank to split. Pentair brags about the strength of this tank in every piece of literature they publish, it was the last thing (BUT most expensive) I would have expected to give me problems.

I will probably post a new thread but do you know if a tank can be patched with fiberglass? I'm thinking of using the braided fabric and resin on the inside of the tank.

Thanks again!

If you have decent skills with fiberglass patching, I see no reason why it can't be patched. I've patched small holes in the bottom of boats and waverunners before, and I guarantee a boat's hull takes much more strain than your pool filter.

However,I guess my answer should be qualified with a question.... How big is the split?

I think you're on the right track with the woven fiberglass patch, and I'd also recommend patching it with an epoxy patch from the outside... be double safe on it.

Ultimately if it doesn't work.. what's your loss? you're faced with buying a new filter anyway, so why not try it?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Only difference between a boat patch and a tank is the pressure. Just remember that even at a few PSI the forces trying to open up the tank are quite high. With the fiberglass webbing though you may stand a good chance. Got nothing to lose.
    Good luck and keep up posted.
    Al

Thanks y'all. I hope to have the time tomorrow to be able to drain the tank and take a good look at it.

My only concern right now is that I will not be able to physically reach the bottom of the tank. I will analyze that situation when I break it down.

+ Reply to Thread